I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bump elimination
Posted by: shaun (---.pngts.com)
Date: November 14, 2001 11:52AM

I am wrapping a fly rod with a single thread inlay.
Procedure :
1 Start the base wrap = 1st thread bump
2 Secure the inlay with 3 wraps of base = 2nd thread bump
3 Tie of the inlay with 3 wraps of base = 3rd thread bump
4 Finish base wrap = 4th thread bump

What I have is 4 thread bumps under a half inch wrap. I place the bumps on the side opposite the angler (underside of a fly blank) but the results are not satisfactory. I have tried loosening the wrap, running a burnishing tool over the bump to help smooth it out but still not acceptable. Is my technique poor or am I expecting to much ? Any help would be appreciated. Maybe I'll go down to the fly shop and see how the factory rods look.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bump elimination
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 14, 2001 12:55PM

There will be some "bump" but it should not be terribly noticeable unless one really closely, closely inspects the wraps. I assume you are using A thread.

Without actually seeing your "bumps" I cannot really tell if you are dealing with what would be considered normal, or if it really is a problem.

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: November 14, 2001 01:11PM

Are you "flaming" or thinning your epoxy a lot? Even flamed pretty thin, I cannot see any of the bumps you refer to in my wraps done as you describe after the epoxy.

Are you using Rod Varnish instead of epoxy?

TH

Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2001 03:01PM

Im not a pro by any means look at all the questions I ask but, when you pull a thread back under itself to secure it your going to get a buldge you cant avoid it.

Somthing has to be displaced when you pull a thread under and through another and since the blank wont give way the thread on top "Wraps " will! Even if its flattened out the thread thats pulled through still has some diameter and will raise the thread on top . I always try to pull threads through on the bottom side of my rods if I can . After the finish is on one cant really notice the pull throughs especially with darker thread.

happy wrapping "John"

Posted by: Al Mill (---.z208176141.sjc-ca.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: November 14, 2001 04:56PM

When doing multicolor weaves and wraps, you will get "bumps". They are extremely noticeable when unfinished. Not to despair. I like to coat the wraps with 2 or 3 coats of color preserver (a few hours apart of course). When dry, the coats of color preserver somewhat hide or melt the thread strands together. Then, I like to put a thick coat of U40 or Flexcoat as a first coat to try to even out the peaks and valleys in the weave (especially in diamond wraps). I come back with a 2nd coat a few hours later (if not the next day) to put a buffer between the top layer of thread and the top coat of finish. Depending on how "bumpy" the finish ends up as a result of the bumps in the weaves and inlays determines whether or not I need a 3rd coat. If after the 3rd coat, the finish has bumps, I like to wet sand the finish with 400 grit sandpaper with light pressure to even out the surface (thus the need for the 3rd coat to be sacrificed). I then come back with a thin 4th coat to glass-out the finish. The thickness of the finish in conjunction with the color preserver then gives you a hologram effect thus hiding the bumps in the wraps making your wrap look smooth.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 14, 2001 10:20PM

Several years ago I attended one of Dale Clemen's seminars in Austin, Texas and saw the best finish on rods ever. A fellow from Amarillo, Texas built a box which he had lined with aluminum insulation material about 1/2 inch thick. He then strung a string of clear Xmas lights at the top of the box about 6 inches from his rod tuning device. The lights were turned on and left on during the curing process and the combination of the heat produced by the lights and insulation resulted in a very fine finish. Don't ask why I haven't built one myself. I guess it is due to lack of space in my wrapping area.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster