I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Spine finder tool
Posted by: Tommy Simonsen (---.banetele-cust.com)
Date: November 20, 2016 08:32AM

Is the Spine Finder (ex. MudHole) really a helpful tool or a hype? The reason I ask is bc I have used the traditional method on my fly rods and some pieces has been hard to locate the spine on. If this tool is accurate and a time saver I won't hesitate adding one to my setup.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spine finder tool
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2016 09:12AM

Tommy,
Leave the spine finder tool at the store.
Forget about spending any time to locate the spine of a blank.
Rather, just build on the straightest axis of the blank and move on.

Good luck

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.70.---)
Date: November 20, 2016 09:35AM

X2 Roger.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: November 20, 2016 10:11AM

X3

Ron Weber

Posted by: Chris Zarza (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2016 12:47PM

Has the spine theory gone out the window or something?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 20, 2016 12:57PM

Chris - Yes! It's been replaced by 'build on the straightest axis'. Some times the spine and straightest axis align, but not always. It has been a tough concept for many to let go of.
Norm

Posted by: Chris Zarza (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2016 01:44PM

What's the reasoning though? It makes sense to prevent to rod from twisting under heavy loads.

Date: November 20, 2016 02:24PM

Read this and make up your own mind.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 20, 2016 02:48PM

The spine cannot stop a rod from twisting under a load. The lever arm effect of the guides will determine whether it can twist or not.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 20, 2016 02:53PM

I build only fly rods, and find that the spine has no effect on either casting or fighting a fish. It may have been important with the old heavy fiberglass blanks, but not today the carbon fiber technology and precise blank designs. Even true for the new lighter fiberglass. It is "old school."

Date: November 20, 2016 05:17PM

Thanks for the response. So this is old school related to the fiberglass rods and has then been transferred to the modern rods? Makes sense. I've always mounted the guides 90 degrees from the spine. This is how I learned the craft. This was very important in order to prevent the rod from twisting, especially whilst fighting salmon. But also in the cast. If I don't need to focus on this anymore, great. Happy to learn something new

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 20, 2016 07:21PM

It wasn't important with older glass rods and isn't important now.

Rod twist is a function of guide orientation. It has nothing to do with spine orientation.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2016 09:52PM

On fly rods and spinning rods, the guides are on the bottom, the load is on the bottom, so you have no twist.

Date: November 21, 2016 10:53AM

The load is not at the bottom at all times. Remember that both during spey and overhand casting you load the rod 90-180 degrees from the guides.This is what makes ferrules slip and the rings to become mis-aligned. Especially in spey casting where you set up an anchor in the water. Yes I know twist is a function of guide orientation, that's correct. Some people try to align this by twisting the hand in the cast. And others tape the ferrules, especially on DH rods. Tape is not of my choice and I've learned the theory that if you mount guides 90 degrees of the spine it helps with the twist and I can't say from personal experience that this myth is busted.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2016 11:07AM

Tommy,

Many years ago, When I first leaned to build rods, I was taught to locate the rod spline and build accordingly. Much later in my rod building career, a buddy of my asked me to build him a Senko rod. He waited it light and sensitive and had the money to spend. I suggest that he go with a high quality blank and titanium micro guides. He decided to go with a St Croix SC V blank. I carefully splined the blank and wrapped on Fuji SIC.Ti micro guides after static loading the blank.

After taking the rod out my drying cabinet and admiring my work, my heart sank! The blank had a slight bend to the right in the tip area. The first thing he did when he picked the rod up was to sight down the blank to see if the guides were all in alignment, and naturally he said "the blank is crooked"! That is the last time I used the blank spline to determine the location of the guide placements.

After that embarrassing experience, I now place all the blanks I receive on my rod supports with a piece of graph paper at the tip and rotate the blank to determine at which point the tip is in the "up" position. I mark that locate on a piece of masking tape and then then wrap the guides on the tip "up" side for casting rods and the opposite side for spinning rods.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2016 11:17AM by Donald R Campbell.

Date: November 21, 2016 11:53AM

I agree with Donald, By doing it this way you not only get the straightest axis but also this placement of the guides (spin vs cast) causes the bend to virtually disappear.
Norm

Date: November 21, 2016 12:06PM

That is a great tip Don. Thanks for sharing your own experience

Date: November 21, 2016 02:37PM

Found this in the library.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Easy DIY, seems reliable as well. Anyone in here ever tried one?

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: November 21, 2016 04:57PM

I have a similiar one, hasn't been out from under the bench for over 5 years. I as a lot of others build on the straightest axis, and never have I had any issues or complaints

Ron Weber

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2016 06:16PM

As fly casting instructor, I can tell you that the spine has NO effect on casting single hand or Spey! As casts are almost always done on multiple planes the spine is only rarely in play and undecenrable.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster