I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Heavy Vertical Jigging rod with single foot guides?
Posted by: Chris Zarza (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2016 09:05AM

I'm looking to build a 60# spinning VJ rod for South Florida. I've only build a few light tackle rods.

Is it dumb to build it with single foot guides as opposed to double foot? Mostly just to be different, lighter, less material, less "heavy looking" but serious power.

edit: what size guides would be best suited for jigging? i've settled on Seeker Hercules 60H

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2016 11:41AM by Chris Zarza.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heavy Vertical Jigging rod with single foot guides?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 18, 2016 09:25AM

There are heavy type single foot guides that can work in these situations. I might suggest using the single foot guides on the upper half of the rod and corresponding double foot guides on the bottom half where the bulk of the rod's power comes from.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.106.---)
Date: November 19, 2016 06:53PM

Great blank choice. As far as guides, I would take Toms advice and look into heavy duty single foot guides. I've built a few but I used double foot guides. When choosing guide sizes keep in mind the size of the reel spool and the type of line to leader connection you plan to use. I like at least size 10 for the upper half to pass knots. The butt guide will most likely be a size 40 or 50. Make sure the rod is comfortable under your arm pit when reeling and poping. You may want to leave the blank exposed in the butt grip to reduce rubbing. Go with a split grip using a rubber gimble on the butt. My $0.02. Good luck. MH

Posted by: Chris Zarza (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2016 09:42PM

Michael Harmon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great blank choice. As far as guides, I would take
> Toms advice and look into heavy duty single foot
> guides. I've built a few but I used double foot
> guides. When choosing guide sizes keep in mind the
> size of the reel spool and the type of line to
> leader connection you plan to use. I like at least
> size 10 for the upper half to pass knots. The butt
> guide will most likely be a size 40 or 50. Make
> sure the rod is comfortable under your arm pit
> when reeling and poping. You may want to leave the
> blank exposed in the butt grip to reduce rubbing.
> Go with a split grip using a rubber gimble on the
> butt. My $0.02. Good luck. MH

The reel is a Quantum Cabo 80. It's got a pretty big spool at about 2.5" maybe a tad larger. But I wont be casting with this rod much, if at all. Possibly lobbing live baits.

I think I'll keep with double foot guides for now since I already bought them. Next VJ rod I'll do single foots. Right now I've got a 30 Fuji BMNAG and smallest being an 8 but I'll think change it to 10 since the 8 is looking a bit small.

I have with me now are 30-20-12-10-8-tip. Should I get a 16 in-between the 20 and 12 and remove the 8 to make it 30-20-16-12-10-tip? I believe I'll end up with 5 guides instead of the standard 6 or 7 since the reel will be so high up on the rod, right?

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.106.---)
Date: November 19, 2016 10:04PM

Definitely place all components and static test. I'm thinking 40-30-20-16-10-10-+tip. When that rod is loaded and the drag is ripping you want to make sure the line has a nice curve with no hard angles. I like and use the seeker Hercules blanks but before you build your next rod check out the Batson knife jigging blanks. Very durable and are inexpensive for a top quality blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster