I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Two Pc. Fly Rods
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: October 05, 2016 06:42AM

Does anyone still see much call for 2 pc. fly rods? How about on the shorter rods, say 8'0" and under?

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Two Pc. Fly Rods
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2016 07:13AM

Yes, mainly for the Fiberglass crowd, especially for the blanks that are made with Spigot style ferrules, example, Steffen Brothers, his 2 and 3 piece blanks have a very loyal following, along with Tom Morgan's Glass, which mainly come in 2 piece, although a couple are made in 4 piece too. I have also built out plenty of the CTS Quartz Glass in 2 piece, although I probably build just as many 3 and 4 piece of those. It comes down to customer preference in the end.

Graphite, on a modern blank, I have not built out one in 2 piece in years, the several that I have done, have been on older NOS blanks, like a Diamondback Classic Trout or a J Kennedy Fisher rolled for Winston blank, there is a small but loyal following for those blanks.

With the advancements in technology and the demand for portability, the 4 piece pretty much rules the day now.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.32.---)
Date: October 05, 2016 10:06AM

Gear rods in 2 piece go pretty much everywhere, so can 2 piece fly rods. I have a 9' 9" and a 10 ft. 2 pc. I use all the time.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 05, 2016 10:27AM

I build only fly rods and have not built a 2pc in over 10 years. Most of my customers travel a lot to fish and they find 3 & 4 pc much more convenient.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 05, 2016 11:08AM

The bamboo fly rods I've built have all been 2 piece with the exception of the restoration of an old as the hills 3 piece Granger.

Glass tends towards 2 and 3 piece rods with, as mentioned above, the 4 piece 6 and 7 weight Tom Morgan glass rods being notable exceptions.

Having a hard time remembering the last 2 piece graphite rod builds.

Improved ferrule design, materials, and construction techniques together with ease of transport especially when flying are commanding arguments for 4 piece rods.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 05, 2016 11:33AM

Two piece fly rods remain popular in some circles due to car doors, trunk lids, and airline over- length baggage fees. I have no idea why they remain popular with fly fishermen.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 05, 2016 11:33AM

Two piece fly rods remain popular in some circles due to car doors, trunk lids, and airline over- length baggage fees. I have no idea why they remain popular with fly fishermen.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2016 11:35AM

Phil, you forgot ceiling fans.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 05, 2016 02:30PM

Two piece fly rods will always be popular.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.38.---)
Date: October 05, 2016 03:36PM

I'm sure there are areas where a 2 piece won't work, Lower 48, Canada and Alaska aren't a problem.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 05, 2016 04:20PM

My 9-foot 6wt graphite fly rod is a 2-piece. I sure wish it was a 4 pc.

The definition of "travel" really needs to be extended to include simple traveling by car and backpack, no need to focus on airline travel like everyone tends to do. I just don't see any advantages to a 2-piece rod to outweigh the advantages with material designs these days for 4-piece rods, UNLESS a desired rod is only available as a 2-piece (or 3-piece) as in bamboo and fiberglass blank offerings.

there are advantages when it comes to design of the taper with bamboo, i think mainly because the ferrules are metal additions and are configured into the mathematical taper. Two piece rods are also simpler to assemble in the field. less "work." but hardly offsetting the practicality of a 4-piece. I also think there's a huge sentimental draw leaning towards 2-piece rods for those who grew up with them. there might be some performance advantages to 2-piece but again, for me, whatever they are, do not outweigh the portability advantage of a 4-piece.

i'm starting to ramble...

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.38.---)
Date: October 05, 2016 04:31PM

Two phenominal steelhead fly rods I built were never offered in anything, but 2 piece as noted above. Anything over 9 ft. were harder to find not to many years ago.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 05, 2016 06:49PM

I have been fly fishing long enough to have a number of 2pc rods. They are gathering dust in my garage, as I have replaced them all with newer 4pc rods both for convenience and improved performance. As I mentioned above, I never have a request to build 2pc.

We have a large fly fishing club (over 400 members) and conduct rod building classes twice a year. None build 2pc. They are probably going to go the way of the Buggy Whip, which was a 1pc.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.70.---)
Date: October 05, 2016 07:20PM

Two piece are great saltwater boat rods. Have a few 2 and 4 piece. I find it easier to pick up a 10 wt line and cast with one back cast. For travel you can't beat a 4 pcs.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: October 06, 2016 09:34AM

Yup. You see lots of used 2 piece fly rods for sale. No benefit over 4 piece and a pain to travel with.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: October 06, 2016 11:04PM

I build on both. Two piece rods are usually more economical, to build on. The newer blanks are no different to get around with than a 1 piece 7 foot spinning or casting rod. Their performance is on par with other rods. If you are going to pack in or fly to an exotic location, like Flint or Ferguson, yes, a 4 piece rod is wonderful. Do they fish any better... Not in my opinion, Do they cost more... Yep. If two piece rod blanks were not popular, they would not be produced.. If fly fishing is only to be kept to the high end aristocrats, the average Joe would only get to watch from the sideline. Probably all the world class anglers started on two piece rods and moved up to 4 piece blanks, or stuck with what they liked.. I have seen some pretty pricy rods with names that started with O... or S..or W.. that when flexed had flat spots at the ferrules. and I have seen some 2 piece rods that had a tendency to explode when loaded.. But there are a lot of two piece steelhead blanks that can handle huge loads with light lines. Yes, I believe that is a place in the industry for 2 piece blanks, and some of the major distributors listed on the left have started to produce some 1 piece rods.. Just my opinion.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: October 08, 2016 12:15AM

Mudhole blanks:
F904-2-MHX $84.75
F904-4-MHX $102

Not sure spending the extra $17 qualifies as aristocratic.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.mcclatchy.com)
Date: October 08, 2016 02:45AM

When it comes to price, i often am tempted with 2-piece fly blanks. They're the ones at deep closeout prices. Vendor trying to get rid of them...

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: October 08, 2016 09:42AM

I cant stand 4pc rods. More money. More hassle keeping them all straight while fishing and a stronger rod can be had in a 2pc. I think they fish better as well
I love 2pc 9ft fly rods!

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster