I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What's your source of shop heat?
Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.r4.ncreed.infoave.net)
Date: November 13, 2001 10:34PM

Hello all,I'm sure there are a few of you that are or were working in a "shop" like mine, a 10x12 building. I've got one of those electric radiant heaters that looks like the old water radiators. It does good if you are sitting next to it while wrapping but I have serious doubts of it keeping the whole space warm for at least 4hrs. giving a finish time to atleast tack good. What do you guys use baseboard heaters, gas, kerosene?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's your source of shop heat?
Posted by: Roert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 14, 2001 04:56AM

I use a base board and a radiant radiator and try and keep the temprature around 80%
Bob

Posted by: Lee Parsons (---.grlnd1.tx.home.com)
Date: November 14, 2001 06:59AM

I use a propane radiant heater that clamps onto the top of the bottle. Does a pretty good job. I favorite heater for the shop was my kerosene, it was a big round unit that would heat the hole shop/garage to aboutn 75 but I can't find a wick for it now.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 14, 2001 09:25AM

Your "oil radient" heater will easily heat your shop for an extended period. Trouble is, you've got to have some way to contain the heat. Some time spent sealing cracks and openings as well as maybe putting in some insulation will pay off in the long run. Particularly if you intend to work through the winter.

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: November 14, 2001 01:29PM

There is a unit that you can buy called "Soft Heat." It is a small electric unit meant to install under kitchen cabinets. 4" high, 18" wide and 16" deep.

But don't let the size fool you. They pump out 2,000 watts of gentle fan-forced heat. Should work well for a room the size you describe above, as long as there are not too many big air leaks.

They are called "soft" heat because the air comes out of the unit toasty warm, but not burning hot. It will not cause a fire even when paper or cloth comes into direct contact with it. The heating elements are inside tubes which are filled with oil. Having safe heat is one less thing to think about. A lot of shops go up in flames from kerosene and radiant heaters.

You can wire them for either 110 or 220 volts, and they can be wired to a cheap baseboard heater thermostat for sustained comfort. They can be bought from most electric supply houses like Branch Electric. Ask for a "below cabinet toekick heater."

I install these units very regularly in people's homes, and people rave about how great they are. Only problem is that the dog will lay in front of it and won't move! :-)

Hope this helps.

TH

Posted by: Scott Brockwell (---.s212.tnt1.chts.va.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: November 14, 2001 06:24PM

I had this same problem. No matter what the heat source, the insulation and seams are a big factor, like Tom says -- at least they were for me.

My shop is 2 1/2 times the square footage you're dealing with, and last winter I had a hard time keeping it warm with electric and kerosene combined. It's got a 12-foot-high barn style ceiling that sucked up all the heat, even though the walls were insulated already. I insulated the ceiling completely, paneled it, sealed the windows and put those rubber weather strips at the bottoms of the side door and double doors on front. I also put in a ceiling fan that I can reverse to hold the heat down. It's made all the difference, with the air conditioning too. I know my electric bill will see some relief as the winter wears on -- it ate me up last winter.

Posted by: StickyLine (63.124.164.---)
Date: November 15, 2001 10:48PM

I'm with you Scott,, my old shed was 16x20 and you could throw a cat through it any place. But will finish a new one 20x20 with good insulation, big windows for light and a new propane heater with blower. Gonna try making a cane rod this winter.

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 17, 2001 08:44PM

In most of the woodworking magazines right now there is a new type of radiant baseboard heater that uses a silicone fluid to heat. Says it retains heat for quite some time and is very cost effective. Looks like quality stuff. If I can find the address or company name I will pass it along.

Posted by: Kerry (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 18, 2001 04:49AM

If you are just worried about the heat for the sake of the finish, make a dryer box (i did mine out of plexiglass) and then you only have to heat the enclosure which is also a good way to keep any dust off the finish.

Kerry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster