I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji's Speed Threader review
Posted by: Robert Dittert III (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 16, 2016 05:25PM

Got a Fuji Speed Threader from Jim at AR a few months ago (thanks Jim). Hadn't used it yet until today. Getting ready for a trip this weekend and had some reels spooled up that were off rods. Speed Threader made fast work of running line from reel through the line guide of the reel, down the rod guides to the tip. Guides down to size 4.5. Was fast and efficient and no issues with mono that has some memory. Work on Fuji guides and REC recoil guides all the same.

Would recommend this little tool to anyone. Will be getting another one, so I'll have one for my freshwater tackle bag and one for my saltwater bag.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji's Speed Threader review
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2016 06:57PM

It is rare that Fuji puts a bad product on the market.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 16, 2016 07:10PM

Back in June after Jim Ising of Angler's Resource posted about the Fuji speed threader, I bought some from the Rod Room to try. Shortly thereafter Jim sent me one to try. I no longer have any of these speed threaders left. When I demonstrated these threaders to my friends they all wanted one, so I gave away all that I had. I bought a few more and will be buying a bunch more from the Rod Room to give away with the rods that I build, I think it will be a nice touch that will be greatly appreciated. These things work great making it a breeze to thread line through your reel pawl and micro guides; you can actually do it blind folded. If you lose your grip on it while threading it stays right there. The only guides I could not thread were size 3 micros with ceramic inserts found on several commercial rods. No problems with any of the Fuji KB/KT guides or any of the minima F guides. These things are less than $3.00 and are well worth it. There is only one thing I can think of that would improve this product and that would be use a triangular or rectangular storage tube instead of a round tube. This would prevent the tube from rolling and getting lost. Here is the original post if you are interested.
[rodbuilding.org]

Norm

Posted by: Robert Dittert III (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 16, 2016 08:52PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is rare that Fuji puts a bad product on the
> market.
>
> .............

When I would buy a rod, I always looked for the Fuji tag on the rod. Now that I've built a few rods, most have been with Fuji reel seats and guides. Not all, but most. Not saying other companies reel seats and guides aren't good, but I lean towards Fuji.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2016 09:31PM

I believe it has been Fuji's commitment to quality that has required other component companies to raise their game and over the last decade or so, every one of them has vastly improved quality and performance. There are not many bad components out there these days if you stick to the any of the popular name brand firms - Batson, Pacific Bay, American Tackle, SeaGuide and others I'm forgetting at the moment. "Junk" doesn't exist much any more.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: September 17, 2016 05:41PM

Do any of the RodBuilding.org sponsors carry the speed threaders? I have asked at Mudhole and Get Bit on a recent trip to Florida, and have looked for them in several big box store fishing departments with no luck. I wanted to buy around 8 of them to pass around to my fishing buddies!

Rog

Date: September 17, 2016 05:49PM

'The Rod Room' is a sponsor and they sell the speed threaders. Very go service!
Norm

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 17, 2016 05:51PM

The tool is light and could be incorporated in a butt cap of every rod you build. Another $3 dollars per rod? That one item alone can sell a rod once you show em' how to access it, and use it. They will be in my Christmas stockings for a few guys.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2016 11:02AM

I sent an email to Jim Ising and asked him who carries them, as I too, 'am planning on buying 25 to pass out to members of my bass club. A very inexpensive way to do a little marketing.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: September 18, 2016 11:18AM

Roger and Donald, here is the link to the speed threader at The Rod Rod Room
[www.therodroom.com]
They are just down the road from Angler's Resource so if they run out they can drive there and pick up some more.
Norm

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 19, 2016 10:51AM

It's one of those things that seems so unimportant in the day-to-day hubbub of rod building...until you see how it works. For those who may be interested here's a short vid of the Speed Threader in action.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 19, 2016 11:11AM

Dennis, how do you install a speed threader in the butt cap of a rod without it rattling around or moving up the blank?
Norm

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 19, 2016 04:14PM

You make a socket out of whatever will do the job and secure it to the butt cap. It could be as simple as using the tube it came in as its holder (if the blank is large enough) put arbors on the tube and slide it into the butt end of the blank. The butt cap goes over the end of the blank and that's the name of that tune.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2016 04:59PM by Dennis Danku.

Date: September 19, 2016 05:17PM

Thanks. Interesting idea, might set up prototype and see how it works.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster