I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What tuna blank for Avet 30's
Posted by: gervais sharp (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 02, 2016 06:35PM

I'm new to rod building, but want the right blank for the right reel/job. I'd like to be able to troll, chunk, and fish livies. I only do any of this with a max of two rods at a time so if I need to different blanks I'm fine with that. Also fuji guides and roller guides for both sets if you're willing to help with that too. I fish out of Venice, La and YF over 100#'s are common, and 200#ers aren't rare. Not a fan of rods over 6ft and I don't fish from the chair so I don't need anything longer. I like a short rod and a light rod doesn't hurt.

Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What tuna blank for Avet 30's
Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: September 03, 2016 11:19AM

Gervais -

I get down there and get after the YFT out of Venice a few times a year. I have to confess a huge bias for catching them on either vertical/flat fall jigs or poppers, but as you know some days it's livies, some days you gotta chunk, if we're lucky we toss bycatch behind a shrimp boat - whatever it takes.

I realize this is not what most people would tell you, but a Black Hole Cape Code Special 350g or 450g jigging blank makes the finest light weight, doesn't hurt 6' or shorter chunking / live bait rod you have ever fished. I am building these out with split grips, rubber gimbals, Fuji palm support seats, and spiral wrapped KWSG / KWAG guides and tops. The finished rods are 7 or 8 oz and have easily boated fish up to 156#. This is with a PlayAction snap on belt - no harness, so staps, etc. It feels like fishing a musky rod but will absolutely whoop a tuna.

Now, the caveat is that you need a serious powerhouse reel to match these outfits - a 50W will overwhelm them. I prefer the Jigging Master Power Spell reels (PE7 or PE8 are plenty) or the Truth LG or LGN for single speeds. The Power Spell reels are the best reels you have never heard of...unbelievable. If you need a two-speed the Avet Raptors or Daiwa Saltigas work great (although the Daiwas are chunky). All of these reels will put 35#+ of drag on these fish SMOOTHLY and will not hiccup under much heavier drag than that. I am running 80# hollow core braid to 60# or #80 fluoro leader/topshot to a Mustad 4X 6/0 offset circle. This rig flat works. You do need to be careful / deliberate to use slim knots if you go down in guide size...I am using 8s and 10s but run either an in-line splice or an FG knot for my braid to mono connection. If you tie a big bulky knot you will need bigger guides.

The only problem I've had with these rods is that the first time you walk on the boat with these set ups your captain and mate are not happy - they look way too small and too puny. They realize very quickly they are not. This type of equipment is not your daddy's tuna rod - this is a whole new generation of equipment.

Make sure your first guide is high enough to keep your line off the front edge of your foregrip under TREMENDOUS load AND with the reel only half full. These are parabolic rods and they bend all the way to the butt under load, so make sure you test your guide positioning and you will be fine. It is worth the effort - these parabolic blanks are EASY on your back. Good luck!

Date: September 03, 2016 01:10PM

Thanks for the info Bill. I have 4 Avet 30w's already and I like them. I too, splice my braid to mono, and though it may not be needed, I tend to fish a flouro wind on so my guides will have to handle a bimini.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 07, 2016 01:49PM

Blackhole Cape Cod Special blanks in the 450 and 250G are my favorites. I fish these in Puerto Vallarta every December for 100-300 lb YFT

Date: September 08, 2016 03:35PM

I decided to go with Calstar GF410XH graphiter 4'10". Thanks for the input!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster