I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Combo Wrapper / Spine Finder / Static Tester
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 01, 2016 04:56PM

Hi to all you wrappers.
I cannot believe I am the first one to discover this but thought I would share my new finding, just in case, after feeling a bit dense I did not realize it sooner. Immediately after spending the time to build a semi-adjustable spine finder from stuff found around the shop, I realized my wrapper would already do the same, but even better. The spacing is infinitely adjustable, the two upright wheels cradle any diameter without slop as well as spin freely on their ball bearings, the rubber O-rings eliminate rod damage, and depending on which one of the uprights the rod is placed on top or bottom of, the rod can be lifted to mark the spine on the guide side for spinning or inversely pushed down on for casting rods. And there is one less piece of equipment to clutter the shop! As long as the upright wheels are also unobstructed at the bottom, just about any wrapper should be able to do the same. A ½ to 1in hole saw could be used for drilling a hole in a solid upright. I have not used it for static testing yet but see no reason why it will not perform as well as does for spine finding. Granted I overbuilt my wrapper uprights from 1 X 1 x1/8 angle and ¾ X ¼ flat bar aluminum which should easily handle a 50lb load while static testing an ocean rod, but I would hope the commercially available wrappers would be stout enough to handle most other rod builds. If you care to do so, see photos under Equipment and Tools, Wrapper / Spine Finder.
Thoughts and comments (other than about my density) welcome. I am curious to learn how many others, especially if Roger Wilson, employ their wrappers to do the same.
Anyone want to buy a nice, unused home built spine finder?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Combo Wrapper / Spine Finder / Static Tester
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 01, 2016 05:13PM

Mark

I don't use the rod lathe to find spines, but I do use it to find the "outside of the curve" for fiberglass rods when the recommendation is to mount guides on the outside of curve, such as Tom Morgan glass rods. Works like a champ provide the work bench and lathe's supports are level - and they are.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-37-187-147.eu)
Date: September 01, 2016 05:36PM

With the data and facts we have available over the last decade or two, I would think that many builders, maybe even most, do not bother with the spine. No idea how many are still doing it and would have need for a spine finder but you can always list it on the buy and sell page and see if anybody wants one.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2016 05:59PM

When I static test, I just put the rod butt on the carpeted floor and bend the rod at about the 3/4 point to a 90 degree bend.

I don't look for a spine.

To find the straightest axis, I just roll the blank on my flat rod bench to see if the tip moves in any direction. If the tip moves in any direction at all, it will quickly identify the straightest axis.

Finally, I do use my rod wrapper for wrapping an occasional grip clean up, and if only doing one rod at a time, use it for a dryer.

Good luck

Date: September 02, 2016 02:25AM

Thank you to those responding.
Ken, my seeking buyers was intended to be more humorous than desperate. Apparently, there is no use for a spine finder anymore.
I am totally confused but am self admittedly a newbie and, apparently, uninformed. My understanding was finding the spine to be the upmost of importance along with proper guide spacing when attempting to build a proper functioning rod. While I understand the theory of inverting the spine flex to afford greater casting distance, especially for spinning rods, what about rod torque if the spine is, say, 90 degrees off? Are the new rods so consistent we no longer need to concern ourselves with the spine? I have experienced the negative effects of rod torque (on a casting set up) with a big fish on and it was quite annoying if not detrimental to bringing the fish in.
PLEASE ADVISE!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: September 02, 2016 06:24AM

IMO forget "spine" and build on the straightest axis. Roger has given you the quickest way to find that side. The "spine" of a rod is not a continuous affect but will (most often) change depending upon where along the length a rod is flexed. As I recall Don Morton demonstrated that at an early RodExpo in Charlotte.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 02, 2016 08:08AM

The lever arm effect of the guides trumps any spine effect. All casting rods with the guides located on the top of the rod will twist under load from a fish. You cannot eliminate that with spine orientation, only with guide orientation. Thus the point of the spiral wrap.

Date: September 02, 2016 03:34PM

Thanks for the explanation, Ken and Tom. Your time and concern to help the newbie is appreciated.

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster