I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Point Blank PB761MHXF Rod Build - KR Concept Question
Posted by: Ron Beloff (---.disa.mil)
Date: August 29, 2016 07:58AM

I am building this rod for flipping, pitching, frogs, and heavier plastics. I pulled the Fuji Concept Concept guide recommendations for baitcasting rods off the AR website. Looking at the setup, I feel there are not enough guides listed for a 7'6" blank.

Here's what I have that was listed:

Fuji KW 10 - KW 5.5 - KB 4 - KB 4 - KB 4 - KB 4 - KT 4 - KT 4 - KT 4 - KT 4 - KT 4 than a Fuji FC 4 tip. Do I need to add additional KT 4 guides for my 7'6" build?

Thanks

Ron B

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Point Blank PB761MHXF Rod Build - KR Concept Question
Date: August 29, 2016 09:33AM

My bust - only 3 KB-4 size guides listed - not four.

Ron B

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 29, 2016 10:48AM

Ron,

From what I've read, a normal rule of thumb for the number of micro guides on a rod is 1.5 times the length of the rod in feet, (rather than the rod length in feet plus one for standard guides). For a 7 1/2' rod this equates to 11.25 guides, so your 11 guide count seems to be right in the ball park. I have found this is a good starting place, but I always static load the blank to confirm or add guides and adjust their final position on the blank.

I am currently building a Rainshadow IMMC72MH for a client and started with 10 guides and after static loading I added an eleventh guide in the tip area because I didn't like how the line was dropping onto the blank's surface.

My only additional thought for your build would be to increase the size of your running guides to size 5 mm if you are ever going to use braid with a floro top shot....less trouble passing a knot through the runners.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 29, 2016 12:47PM

I always opt for one more rather than one less...

Date: August 30, 2016 12:19PM

Thanks Guys

Ron B

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 31, 2016 09:33AM

Ron, That's going to be a great looking rod when its done. Nice meaty blank with those itsie -bitsie guides so small the wind can,t pass thru them. Well, when it come time to lace that baby up with the latest invisible micro diameter line, unless you have good eyes or your superscription is up to date, you might want to get one of Fuji's Speed Threader and in cooperate that into the butt cap of this new rod, because I know, I would!

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 31, 2016 06:43PM

A start usually is one per foot plus one Then static test to see if you need more ore less

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ernest Horvath (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 14, 2016 01:20PM

On the same blank, being used for the same application, I ended up with 13 guides and the tip total. Three doublet K 10, 7, 5.5 THREE kb5'S and # 5 runners to the tip. My customers love the set-up The two added guides add virtually no extra weight to the build.

Date: September 21, 2016 02:06PM

Guys

Thanks for the input. Still waiting for the blank to be shipped at this point.

Jim has helped me with the free BLING items and other questions I had. I went with the double red stripe bling and will use red, black, and silver thread. Just broke out my Clemens Custom Thread Art book to get some ideas for wraps (been awhile since I have done any). That "olive branch" technique by JT looks promising.

I'm going to run 20 lb fluoro or 50 lb braid on it.

Dennis - I saw another post by you on the hidden storage area for the Speed Threader. I just might put a piece of velcro on it and put it on my hat!

Ron B

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster