I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Making your own snake guides
Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.republic.ip.cablemo.net)
Date: August 27, 2016 06:21PM

Has anyone made there own snake guides and do you have pics and directions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Making your own snake guides
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: August 27, 2016 08:38PM

why would you want to do it? they are cheap an good qualit at that, $1.00 each up to about $4..00 for the good ones , don't under stand , fill me in please, ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2016 08:51PM

Golden Witch once offered a tool for making your own. Not sure if they still offer them. It was a very neat item.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 27, 2016 09:42PM

They do not offer one any more, but Gray Hackle Rods has a kit, and it too is pretty neat, as I have one of them

Ron Weber

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 28, 2016 11:23AM

When you make your own snake guides do you just bend pieces of wire or is there more to it?

Date: August 28, 2016 11:43AM

I have Phosphor bronze and nickle silver wire to do mine with

Ron Weber

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 28, 2016 04:07PM

It is mostly about just bending wire, but there is a certain shape and size desired and the older GW tool had all the various dies to obtain each size.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 28, 2016 04:17PM

I've run across the tool to create your own snake guides, but if i remember correctly, they were generally sold on a few web sites of bamboo fly rod makers. some offered the reverse design loop (English style). I would embrace google in a web search. try youtube too for examples.

There's a certain pride and completion of the entire craftsmanship picture when you create the entire rod with all components yourself. from a bamboo blank to guides, to reel seats and ferrules. even the reel itself from barstock aluminum. catch fish with a rod you completely crafted yourself from raw material, include flies you tied, some would say it doesn't get better than that. i think it's fantastic.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 28, 2016 04:32PM

While preferring to not have to, I am also interested in making my own to match the remaining, vintage guides which I cannot locate. It is a simple double loop with double, opposed feet, size 20 or 25. I found a crappy, chrome plated one which I am using until I find or make a suitable / proper SS stripper. Does anyone know which SS is better between 316 (spring back) or 316L (bend and stay)?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: August 28, 2016 05:28PM

The one I have has all the dies for the different sizes, including being able to make you own hook keeper. I do not think you can make any super size out of it It will do the twist either was such as the American or English style
[www.grayhacklerods.net]

Ron Weber

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster