I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Makoi thread - great stuff!
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: August 25, 2016 10:30PM

Anyone else using the Makoi thread from Bingham? I keep trying others, but the Makoi finishes so nice, and has so few bubbles when used on the first coat - almost zero after just a little heat. Very few "fuzzies" too.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2016 10:32PM by Marc Morrone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Makoi thread - great stuff!
Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 26, 2016 02:37PM

Been using some for the last couple years. I like it.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: August 26, 2016 03:41PM

it is GREAT stuff. I like it much better than PROWRAP.... in fact, I threw all of my pro wrap with the exception of one spool in the trash!!!! I will never look back.

Posted by: Robert Dittert III (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 26, 2016 06:13PM

Looked on Bingham's site but could not find this thread. Any help on where to find on their site?

If not, other retailer that carries this thread?

Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 26, 2016 06:21PM

Robert, Dons Tackle, sponsor on the left.

Posted by: Robert Dittert III (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 26, 2016 06:43PM

Thanks Roger!

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 26, 2016 06:52PM

I have been liking Pac Bay thread lately.

How does Makoi compare? Looking at the specs they are similar price but Makoi does have more color choices.

I am not a big fan of Pro Wrap or Fish Hawk.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 26, 2016 08:34PM

Karen is the exclusive US distributor for the Makoi thread. Her site is just not updated to reflect it.you need to either email her or call her and she will take care of you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2016 08:38PM by Ron Weber.

Posted by: Thomas C Kuzia (32.216.17.---)
Date: August 26, 2016 09:42PM

I got it from Don's Tackle and really like it!!!

Thomas C. Kuzia
Beacon Falls,Ct

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-167-114-118.net)
Date: August 26, 2016 10:06PM

It's funny to hear people pit Prowrap against Makio without realizing that they're the same thread with different labels on them... Same people saying they hate Flexcoat CP but love the CP from U40.. All the same stuff.

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.10.---)
Date: August 27, 2016 07:36AM

How do you know for sure that it's the same stuff? (thread)

Date: August 27, 2016 07:36AM

How do you know for sure that it's the same stuff? (thread)

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-167-114-102.net)
Date: August 27, 2016 08:01AM

A little bird told me...

Date: August 27, 2016 10:05AM

In other words you have no evidence to present. Maybe the Makoi people will chime in.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 27, 2016 11:00AM

What is that birds Name

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: August 27, 2016 11:09AM

Ken,

since you have been enlightened as to the origin of the manufacturer and seem to "know" that they are indeed the same, I would only ask that you share your knowledge with the rest of us. I will tell you that the way the two different brands behave on the spool leads me to believe that your claim is not entirely accurate..

I still stand by my statement, I've moved on and will not look back. Honestly if they are the same thread, who cares, I simply prefer the way that the Makoi handles!

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: August 27, 2016 01:26PM

First, thanks to everyone for the positive comments about Makoi thread. They are greatly appreciated.

“It's funny to hear people pit Prowrap against Makio without realizing that they're the same thread with different labels on them”

Well, there is a good chance we buy from the same large manufacturer. However, the specifications are not the same. We believe we properly comply with federal regulations in the labeling our thread (Made in China). Basically the labeling requirement is that a consumer is made aware of the country of origin of imported goods.

Makoi, to the best of our ability adheres to the Gudebrod standards for size and strength. We consider our Perma Color (NCP) having a larger diameter than nylon to be beneficial to the thread’s strength. We offer thread in sizes A, C, D, and size E in black. We do not offer Perma Color (NCP) in size D on a small spool due to only 60 yards of thread fitting on a small spool. We do offer size C Perma Color on a small spools of 100 yards.

Apparently Makoi metallic in size D is larger in diameter than Prowrap size D metallic. Our spools of D metallic are labeled as having 91 Yards
Our customers demanded a higher quality braid and we found a manufacturer making superior braid. The comments were that our new braid is superior even to the braid that was previously offered by Gudebrod.

Don Becker

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-167-114-118.net)
Date: August 27, 2016 02:14PM

My evidence is what the thread manufacturer told me.

Posted by: BINGHAM ENTERPRISES (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 27, 2016 03:23PM

I sell the Makoi thread - it is not on my website but you can go to www.makoithread.com to see sizes, colors etc --- then you can just email me with color, size and quantity. One other note I do offer wholesale pricing on the Makoi thread to qualified purchasers.

Thank you --
Karen Hapka
Bingham Enterprises
binghamenterprises@kc.rr.com

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 28, 2016 07:29AM

I have not tried it and probably won't unfortunately due to to the fact that it looks like it's only available in 100 yard spools for size A > Why is this?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster