I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

great lakes wire trolling, SiN vs roller guides
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: August 07, 2016 11:04AM

I would like to start a discussion specifically on the application for Great Lakes trolling, wire line rods. I have been told and have had very good success in building trolling rods using Fuji Silicon Nitride (SiN) double foot guides for wire line trolling. Fuji advertises that these guides can be used with wire line.

After several years and about 2 dozen rods, most on charter boats I have yet to have one of these guides fail.

However, when talking to potential customers many of them are set on using roller guides for wire line trolling. Questions to those on the Forum with experience in this area;
1. What if any advantages do roller guides have over SiN double foot guides?
2. Why are some anglers resisting going to the SiN guides? Lack of education as to the SiN guides? Tradition? Past practice?

I have done repairs by replacing roller guides with roller guides but I have never built an entire trolling rod using roller guides.

Any experiences that you have had would be very much appreciated.
Buzz

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2016 11:29AM by Buzz Butters.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: great lakes wire trolling, SiC vs roller guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 07, 2016 11:26AM

Roller guides, provided they are in good working order, reduce friction between line and guides. Now the instant they slow or stop, they're the worst thing you can have on the rod.

So, if customers want them, I'd offer them but with strong commentary that they must be properly maintained. Otherwise it's really an education thing - wire line and ceramic guides, to most fishermen, can't possibly mix. You know they can, but convincing some anglers will take real effort.

Re: great lakes wire trolling, SiN vs roller guides
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 07, 2016 11:40AM

Give your customers a hacksaw blade and a large ceramic insert and ask them to try to cut the insert. They won't be able to do it.
Norm

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 07, 2016 07:01PM

Buzz, All you have to say is this: "and when it comes time to replace the frozen guides, It'll only be half the price of the rod."

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Mark Schuman (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: August 08, 2016 05:31AM

Buzz, I have used wire rods for years on my boat both copper and 7 strand malin steel. Never used roller guides and never had any trouble with the guides you use. I don't know why anyone on the great lakes would want the roller guides except for maybe the tip to replace the twilly we normally use. A full roller guide rod would be only for bling in my opinion and serve only to make the rod way more expensive than it needs to be. As everyone has said above, all their points are valid ones.
Mark
Lyndonville NY

Date: August 08, 2016 08:01AM

Thank you for the feedback folks, I appreciate it.
Buzz

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.alpena.speednetllc.com)
Date: August 09, 2016 06:37AM

I have over 70 of these rods fishing the Great Lakes using SN guides, some for as long as 8 years on charter and tourney boats. I have yet to see a failure. Roller guides for wire rods are a thing of the past. I have designed a rod that a major manufacturer will be debuting very soon that will utilize SN guides for Great Lakes wireline applications.

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2016 01:30PM

Hey Buzz its been many years since we last talked but I'm curious if you have a good blank recommendation for wire rods for the great lakes. I recently have sold my aluminum boat and am in the process of buying a larger great lakes boat for salmon fishing and wire if very new to me.

Date: August 11, 2016 05:33AM

Hey Travis, Great to hear from you. Shoot me an email. I have a number of options for you. Its going to take me a few days to reply.
Buzz

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: August 30, 2016 07:10PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:07PM by John E Powell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster