I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SS Guides w/SS Inserts
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 24, 2016 04:16PM

And a glorious, good day to all you happy wrappers, and a previous thank you for those responding.
This is only my third post as I am new to wrapping yet a long time (OK, old) fisherman. I have built one ultralight trout spinning rod, one 10-30 lb Black Diamond Hybrid bait casting saltwater rod, restored two other saltwater rods, as well as numerous guide replacements for friends when they learned I could.
Please help! I am finding difficulty locating lightweight, inexpensive stainless spinning guides with the thin stainless inserts as found on several "economy", store-bought rods such as the Eagle Claw Featherlight series and the ultralight trout rod I purchased from Cab#%@s. I love those guides because they get the job done with minimal weight and have never had one groove or fail. Granted, the guides are used in the High Sierra or Rockies' pristinely clear streams and lakes without any grit in the water and they never see braided line, only mono or fluorcarcon. I'll stay with Alconite or better for everything else though.

Any insight or referrals as to where I can purchase stainless guides with stainless inserts?
Thank you to all who have responded to my previous posts to assist my new pursuit, although my wife might have other remarks for you.
Mark Talmo

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SS Guides w/SS Inserts
Posted by: rick sodke (---.pmc-sierra.bc.ca)
Date: July 24, 2016 04:49PM

Pac-Bay minimas seem to fit the bill.
[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 24, 2016 05:17PM

Berkley 304 SS guides from Janns/Netcraft .

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 24, 2016 06:15PM

Like the PacBay minima guides, they come in a number of different styles. For light weight spinning rods I like using the minima match (M) guides for stripper and reduction guides and the minima fly guides (F) as running guides. Set up with the Fuji KR system, they give an extremely light weight and responsive rod that will cast light lures out of sight. For a light rod I used size 16 M, size 8M, and size 6M guides as stripper and reduction guides, followed by size 4 F guides as runners. The all chrome guides are very inexpensive and performs exceptionally well. Just finished a 6' light spin rod for a friend today using this setup.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2016 06:16PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2016 11:23PM

There is a bunch of great info in the archives that can be found using the search function.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 25, 2016 08:26AM

Also the American Tackle "Airwave" guide sets, in Chrome with Chrome ring, also Black with Chrome ring.
Complete with suggested spacing chart.
Here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 27, 2016 03:53PM

Thanks to Rick, Dennis, Norman, Spencer and Ron for taking the time to help me.
Mark Talmo

Posted by: Boreas Yao (60.217.64.---)
Date: July 28, 2016 02:31AM

I am concerned if the metal insert is friendly to all kinds of lines. Does it cut the braided lines?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 28, 2016 11:37AM

After reading many favorable comments on this forum concerning the minima guides I gave them a try on an old light action rod I had, but did not like. Well I was very impressed with the results. It transformed that rod completely, making it lighter more responsive, and better casting. I found that the entire set of minima guides weighed about the same as the old size 25 ceramic ringed stripper I used previously on the rod. At the time my major concern was the durability of the minima guide's hard chrome insert, thinking they would groove over time. I have made a bunch of spinning and casting rods using these guides over the past couple of years with absolutely no problems with grooving or line fraying. However only time will tell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster