I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
AFTCOTE finish
Posted by: David Parsons (---.c3-0.rdl-ubr2.trpr-rdl.pa.cable.rcn.com)
Date: July 09, 2016 11:29AM

I tried the aftcote rod finish for the first time let rod rotate for 6 hours and it sagged on me. I mixed 6cc of each part temperature was 70 degrees with low humidity . I know I had a good mix . on the instructions it also say self life approximately is one year. My friend say he has to let it rotate 12 hrs

thanks for any help in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: AFTCOTE finish
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 09, 2016 11:34AM

It is a very slow curing finish Most others set in 4 - 6 hours Always check the mixing cup before stopping the turner
You may be able to level it buy hand turning it 180 several times putting the sags on top let level then several more turns to get the sags to lever out Then turn the dryer on again

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2016 11:38AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: July 09, 2016 10:01PM

Do you guys find AFTCOTE has a stronger odor? I have not used it for a long time. It was really nice to work with if I remember, but had a stronger smell.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Date: July 10, 2016 06:45AM

I didn't find it had a strong odor . Just took longer than the 2hrs the instruction said to keep it rotating for it to set

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2016 08:59AM

David,
Let the rod rotate for 24 hours and there should be no sagging by that time.

Be safe

Date: July 10, 2016 04:52PM

Thank you bill and roger the instruction that came with it says 2hrs thought something was wrong.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 10, 2016 07:37PM

It does sound like something is wrong; it should not be sagging after 6 hrs. Either your mix is off, or you got a bad lot of epoxy. Mix up a small batch and see if you have the same problem. I have used Aftcote before without this problem, it is a good finish just a little more expensive then most but does not yellow as much as some others I used.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 10, 2016 08:30PM

It's always a mistake to simply rotate for a prescribed length of time. The proper length of time is whatever period is needed for the finish to set beyond the point where it will sag or droop. Never stop rotating the rod just because you have reached a prescribed time period. Test the finish by checking the mix left in the cup or on the foil. If you can set it on an angle and it tends to move over a 10 to 15 minute period, you're not done yet.

Date: July 10, 2016 08:57PM

During the past 45 yrs I have used a lot of different rod finishes and have never experienced one that sagged after six hours unless it was my fault due to improper mixing. Believe me it has happened more than once. When I first started I hand turned the rods and after about 2.5 hrs I did not need to turn any more. If it takes over six hours to set up then change brands. I have used Aftcote before and it is not that slow in setting up.My suspicion is improper mixing, maybe because of the large batch you mixed up I have never mixed 6 ml of each part before, that is a lot of finish!
Norm.

Date: July 10, 2016 09:12PM

The size of the batch won't increase pot or set time. In fact, it can actually decrease it due to the additional exothermic heat generated by a larger batch, if you were to keep it contained in a small cup or pan. Otherwise, it all sets and cures at the same rate regardless of batch size.

Date: July 10, 2016 09:56PM

Yes, I understand that, but if it is not mixed well it will cause problems and the larger the batch the more difficult it becomes to mix thoughly. I am giving my opinion on why the problem, and improper mixing seems most likely. Tom, have you ever had a finish that sagged after 6 hrs if it was thoughly mixed? I have accidently mixed two parts of hardener (or resin) together and wondered why the finish never set! If David's finish was correctly and thoughly mixed and it sagged after 6 hrs I would send it back and get a new batch or change brands.
Norm

Date: July 10, 2016 11:26PM

As fare as I know that is the only finish that takes so long to set
If I were you I would use another Cut your time in half at least

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 11, 2016 06:55AM

I've never had a finish sag but I never leave it until I know it's set. It may well have been improperly mixed, but if so it's not likely it would ever set. An poorly mixed or measured finish doesn't take longer to set - it never really sets. It'll be at least tacky forever.

So not sure what's going on, unless it was awfully cold where he was working (I doubt that this time of year) so best thing to do now is keep a closer eye on everything next time out.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.tex.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 11, 2016 08:51AM

It's been two days since the original post. Has the finish hardened yet? If not, why not mix up another batch (I'd suggest 2-3 cc's each part). If the test batch hardens in a reasonable amount of time that eliminates the idea that the epoxy is bad and, therefore, the original mix was not done properly. If it doesn't harden, the epoxy is bad.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Date: July 11, 2016 05:34PM

I know that the mix was right because the first cup I started I had a air bubble in the syringe and put that to the side and started over 6 ml of each .I usually do 12ml of each and let it mix for 5 minutes but have been using pac bay or flex coat high build. but have used pro coat and thread master also. I have a 6 hour timer set up on my dryer power. It did harden but with a sag. I like toms idea of no set time when I use this. aftco direction says to rotate for 2 hours.

Date: July 12, 2016 12:52PM

Two things come to mind on your post
You may have put to much finish on And thus dried with a sag
Your turner may have been too slow I like 50 plus rpm

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 13, 2016 10:24AM

I use AFTCOTE quite frequently and my experience is that mixed perfectly it takes twice as long to cure. The minimum I rotate it is ten hours. Overkill? Maybe but it has never sagged. It even still feels "tacky" after that long. My dryers turns at 9 rpm.

Tom

Date: July 13, 2016 11:08AM

I have used Aftcote before and I do not remember it taking that long to set up. I found it similar to prokote as far as pot life and set up time. I would rotate 4-5 hrs at most for these finishes, tacky but no sagging. My shop might be warmer than most. Aftcote is a very nice finish but slower setup than most. Maybe that is the reason I switch to threadmaster.
Norm

Posted by: Billy Westcott (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 14, 2019 11:26AM

I just tried Pro flex rod coat which took the place of Aftcote. It is still real tacky after 24 hours. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it will eventually harden. I usually use Flex Coat but wanted to try the Pro flex because of the longer pot life. I’m new to rod building still trying to figure out finishing with epoxy.

Posted by: Billy Westcott (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 14, 2019 11:28AM

I just tried Pro flex rod coat which took the place of Aftcote. It is still real tacky after 24 hours. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it will eventually harden. I usually use Flex Coat but wanted to try the Pro flex because of the longer pot life. I’m new to rod building still trying to figure out finishing with epoxy.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster