I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank for paddle tails
Posted by: Mark Hogquist (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: July 04, 2016 04:09AM

What blank are you guys using for throwing 4-5 inch Keitechs and such? I fish them primarily on a quarter ounce swimbait jig head in open water for smallies. I want a blank that has enough power for solid hook sets, and a blank that is on the slower side of fast. Right now I'm looking at the 7 ft Phenix umbx ml, and Point Blank 7 ft medium. Both blanks are a little faster than I'd like. I've read that the Point Blank blanks have more of a progressive jdm style flex and taper which is what I'm after. Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank for paddle tails
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: July 04, 2016 06:54AM

Check the Batson RX8 popping blanks or Pac Bay Quickline popping blanks in the heavier powers. Light, sensitive, and a little slower actions.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.mycingular.net)
Date: July 04, 2016 09:21AM

Get bit is having a sale on Batson RX7 popping blanks. Might be one you like at great price. Happy 4th. MH

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: July 04, 2016 10:40AM

Batson IP902

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 04, 2016 03:27PM

An Immortal IMMC73ML seems to fit the bill quite nicely. I just finished a build on one about a month ago, and was out yesterday throwing Reaction Innovations Little Dippers on a 1/4 oz mushroom head jig for smallmouth, and it worked beautifully.

I was fishing 9 - 12' of water, using 12# Seaguar Tatsu fluorocarbon line. I didn't catch anything to write home about, but I caught 3. Biggest one being about a pound and a half.

It's a fast action blank, but it's not overly fast. Its length and power give it a nice bend into the mid section of the blank under the load of a fish. The rod I built on it is proving to be a lot more versatile than I expected.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 04, 2016 06:32PM

Schneider's shows one Batson RX8 XP902 left. Very nice blank for your needs, at a great price if it's still there. What's a JDM flex?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2016 06:33PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: July 05, 2016 04:50AM

Ha, that's funny. I'm actually using an Xp844 right now for these baits. Nothing wrong with it. It actually handles these baits quite well. Just looking for something a touch faster with maybe an additional half power, and perhaps a little added sensitivity as a bonus.

Date: July 20, 2016 01:24AM

Ended up going with an NFC sj706. We shall see if she fits the bill.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster