I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finesse Spinning - Split Grip vs. Full Grip
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: May 18, 2016 10:46PM

Wondering what you guys like better on finesse spinning rods and why? I still really prefer full rear grips as they always seem to balance a little better.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finesse Spinning - Split Grip vs. Full Grip
Posted by: Michael Maclean (---.knology.net)
Date: May 18, 2016 11:22PM

I prefer split grip for keeping it light weight. Balancing a rod doesn't really play too big of a role for me in finesse.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2016 03:43AM

I won't use a split grip. It is just not a comfortable grip for me. Also, if using rod holders, the split grip is a poor fit. For me, the weight is not important.

Be safe

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: May 19, 2016 09:28AM

I've never understood not liking a split grip. Most of us put a finger or two on either side of the reel stem so you never touch the split. How can not touching something be uncomfortable? And most of us have never put a finesse spinning rod in a rod holder. =)

I have both. There are a few reasons I like splits. It saves $ on cork or carbon fiber sleeve, and gives you a nice place for a decal. The butt grip stays put in my Ranger rod box. They look cool. I can build several handles and they will fit on any rod. Win win.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 19, 2016 09:41AM

Marc

I prefer full rear grips on all spinning and bait casting rods. Learned to cast spinning rods using both hands, and a split grip feels odd.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 19, 2016 10:21AM

Somewhere a long the line some designer decided to make a butt grip a little bitty knob stuck on the end of the blank. Casting requires part of your hand to touch the blank on these little bitty knob grips if you happen to be a two-hand caster. Obviously, grabbing something 12 or 13mm in diameter is not going to help accuracy or comfort so I would propose that most split grips ignore the fact that MANY fishermen use two hands with a spinning rod. The answer IMO is a LONGER butt grip. We designed and added such an animal to our line in both cork, EVA and new custom WINN grips. In fact the WINN grip is just over 4 inches long! Your hand holds a nice tapered grip when casting and never touches the blank. You maintain the nice look of a split grip with all the functionality of a solid grip and save a little weight along the way. When you try one you'll immediately feel the difference.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2016 10:46AM

Great comments about the use of a split grip, but I will continue to use my much preferred full grip.

Also, for a change of pace, I will often slide my hand back when fishing just to get to a different spot on the grip and completely away from the reel. Again, easy to do with a full grip, not so much with a split grip.

One of the reasons that different products are sold today. Different folks, different wishes.

Be safe

Posted by: doug raff (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 19, 2016 12:00PM

My first priority when building a finesse spinning rod is sensitivity. I'll take every opportunity to expose the blank - a notched foregrip, a split reel seat (Fuji SK2) and a split grip handle. I think the first 2 "exposures" are the most important

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster