I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Woven graphite vs. super grade cork
Posted by: Dan Scollard (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2016 12:33AM

Curious what the advantages are of graphite handles, other than that the look is radically different. Price seems comparable.
Do they generally weigh less?
Are they as comfortable?
As long lasting?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Woven graphite vs. super grade cork
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 17, 2016 05:31AM

Do they generally weigh less? YES
Are they as comfortable? IN MY OPINION YES
As long lasting? WILL LAST LONGER

Graphite is absolutely the best product to allow an angler to " feel" vibrations from the bait, feel what is going on at the other end of the line.
Is easier to tell what your bait is doing or going through/running through,( when it hits a rock, comes through vegetation, across or over a piece of wood, structure, or rock.

Improves bite detection over any other handle material.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 17, 2016 06:36AM

Agree with Steve, will add: I think cork is easier to turn from rings into a finished grip, carbon fiber will not only last longer, it will look like new longer. And if necessary, can easily be renewed with another coat of finish. Carbon fiber is as comfortable, but feels a little different. Probably is better wet, although shape is a big factor in ergonomics.

Many of the shapes available in finished carbon fiber components are wrong for good feel and comfort, due to their sharp edges. I think some of the companies make them that way so you will use their winding checks. Done right the carbon fiber can smoothly transition into the blank with no winding check necessary.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 17, 2016 07:09AM

I come from the world of fly rods. With the availability of high quality cork, or lack thereof, and increased price for what is available, a carbon fiber grip can also add a very nice aesthetic value too if your supply of cork is substandard.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Dan Scollard (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2016 11:47AM

Valuable insight again, thank you.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 19, 2016 01:41PM

While new to the world of rod building, I am old to the world of composites. Assuming you and previous responders are referring to rigid woven carbon fiber / epoxy pieces and not the relatively new type CF designed to be sewn for apparel or what-have-you of which I have no experience, need or desire, you can make your own grips or add CF accents yourself. Although the epoxy used of rod building is different than the structural types we utilized in the composite industry, I am certain a woven, composite sleeve could be wet-out with rod epoxy just fine. After all, applying finish epoxy to your wraps is virtually identical in concept to wetting-out a piece of CF, Aramid or fiberglass in a mold. Changes in diameter within the length of a piece really look cool as the weave compresses or stretches with the diameter. Awesome effect.
Check out sollercomposites.com for their extensive inventory of woven composite fabric sleeves. They have CF, Aramid (Kevlar), FG and others, hybrid mixes of each, a large array of colors and all in what ever diameter we could possible need for rod building and beyond. Tell Jon, the owner, that Craftsman Tech Composites referred you.
Personally, I appreciate the feel of cork grips, and besides, can blame all those lost fish on not being able to detect those nibbles.
Mark T.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 19, 2016 03:25PM

We've been doing that since 2006.

Date: May 19, 2016 03:42PM

Tom, With all due respect, I was simply sharing information with Dan and others who might not be as aware, proficient and professional as those such as yourself.
Mark T.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 19, 2016 09:58PM

I know, but wasn't sure you were aware that it has been covered in depth in the magazine since 2006, and at the Expo just about every year since. I'm sure some might not be aware, but they would have to be fairly out of touch not to be,or perhaps absolutely new to the craft.

Date: May 20, 2016 01:21AM

Understood.
Mark T.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 20, 2016 03:11AM

What weight are most of you using in 1" size biaxial sleeves light or heavy? I might order some to play with. Thanks Jaa

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 20, 2016 05:51AM

Mark ;
If you would like to see some examples of CF handles and grips, go to the photo page and look around. There are thousands of examples of it's use in rod building. If you want to save some time. Look up "mike Peterson's" posts. He has been building them since 2008 and has posted many pictures for our viewing.
He also has several good pics on his web site [www.rileyrods.com]

But his work is just a fraction of what Custom builders have been doing with CF over the last ten years

Date: May 20, 2016 01:54PM

Jay,
Again, I am new to rod building yet old to composites and haven't used composite sleeving for a rod yet. I would imagine the light fabric would be preferd as the heavy, especially the hybrid CF / colored fiberglass, can be pretty dang stiff.
Mark T.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 20, 2016 05:20PM

I do believe your right, My limited experience with composites is with some RC fiberglass gas boats when I was younger. I was hoping someone would chime in, I have done some research but do not recall any articals that mentioning heavy or light sleeves? I would have to belive heavy would really suck up the resin. No mention of weights at Rileyrods, I will try to contact mike Peterson. Thanks Steve and Mark

Date: May 20, 2016 05:43PM

Jay,
Check out sollercomposites.com. I purchase all my 100 yd rolls of CF and Kevlar from them and have had the need for their biaxial woven hybrid CF/Kevlar sleeves from time to time (not for a rod as yet). Their sleeving options of fabrics, hybrids, colors, and three different weights is pretty dang extensive. Tell Jon, the owner, Craftsman Tech Composites referred you.
MT

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster