I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drying RPM, magnetic tensioners, slip clutch
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 16, 2016 01:14PM

I am a longtime fisherman, first time rod builder, and new to your website and the world of rod building. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and hopefully assist. Please allow me to briefly introduce myself and wrapper / dryer unit before asking a few questions to experts like you.
Being a fabricator of many medias and end products, as well as a weekend and want-to-be machinist, it is surprising I did not start rod building years ago. A fishing friend mentioned interest in building his own rod, so off onto a new project. While the rod wrappers and dryers viewed looked nice, I decided to fabricate a higher precision unit which would incorporate a mechanical fixture to easily, quickly, precisely and most importantly repeatedly align and mount all the guides. Laser alignment is extremely precise, and more so than the fingers actually mounting the guides.
Of all the wrappers and dryers viewed, I liked the Flexcoat 747 best due to the rod support wheels being supported from the rear of the unit, not beneath. The basic table of my wrapper is constructed of two 6ft lengths of 1 X 3 T-slot aluminum extrusions connectable end to end. The support wheel uprights are mounted to the rear T-slot. I found a 150 RPM, 12VDC gear reduction motor and a variable speed controller on @#$%&, connected them to a forward / reverse switch, all which are enclosed and secured to a mount plate at the end of the extrusion. That is how far the project has gotten so far. Next will be the sliding work / spool tray, guide alignment / mount fixture with an additional fixture to precisely secure and position the rod for guide installation.
Hopefully I have not bored you too much and you are still with me to assist with my following questions.
1.) Why is it better to cure the epoxy at less than 10 RPM than, say, 20 RPM?
2.) The Flexcoat slip chuck appears to be a great idea. Is it worth it? Options?
3.) Being the cheap bastard I am, I was planning on making my own spool tensioners. The magnetic tensioners seem like a good idea but the paper washer adjusters seem annoying. What is your perspective? Options?
By the way, I figured this fixture could be built for $300.00 but am up to $400.00 now with an additional $100.00 anticipated. Too late to turn back now!
THANK YOU for your time, concern and reply.
kidpit
<<< FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT ! >>>

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drying RPM, magnetic tensioners, slip clutch
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 16, 2016 01:47PM

Mark,
There are a million ways to build a mouse trap or a rod wrapper. It sounds like you have some great ideas.

Since you have a variable speed control on your dryer motor, you can dry at any speed that you desire.

When I apply finish, I use my power wrapper that will turn at speeds up to 1000 rpm. I generally apply finish at about 0-50 rpm. 0 for the guide foot tunnel and 50 rpm or faster for long butt wraps. Then, when it comes down to drying, I just slow down the dryer so that the rod is turning at a sped that does not create foot balls by slinging finish. The slowest that I use is 6 rpm. I expect that the fastest that I use is 20 rpm.
Generally, I dry at about 10 rpm.

I very much dislike using magnetic tensioners. I just find them inconvenient and too time consuming to adjust to my liking. I simply use a sewing machine style thread tensioner to run my thread through. I do not run metallic thread through the tensioner. I only use metallic thread for trim and then, I just cut off lengths of thread and use them out of my hand for wrapping.

I trust that you have your speed control, controlled from a pedal don't you. If wrapping, pretty important to have foot control to keep both hands free when wrapping.

I have made all of my own wrappers and dryers over the years as well. If I don't like it, it gets scrapped and something else is built. The system that I use now works very well for me.

Just a couple of pictures:
Wrapper bed: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Thread tensioner: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Power head and DC motor : [www.rodbuilding.org]

Steady rests used for wrapping and drying: [www.rodbuilding.org]

I agree with you, in that it is nice to have the rollers supported from behind. That way, one can get one's hands under the rollers when working close to a guide on a fine tip needing support.

Single motor rod drying power unit. [www.rodbuilding.org]

This is a Grainger DC gear motor that varies in speed from 0-50 rpm. The chuck is a $1 pvc cap, with a piece of neoprene over the face to create a rod holder. This is essentially a copy of the flex coat chucks.
If you want to make the equivalent of a flex coat chuck, just use a flat bottomed PVC cap as shown above. Drill a 1/4 inch hole in the center using your lathe. Then, use your lathe to insure that the inside bottom of the cap and the outside bottol of the cap are flat and equal thickness on all parts of the bottom of the chuck.

Then, use the lathe to drill and tap a piece of stock to use as a base for the chuck. Cross drill and tap two setscrew holes in the base. Use a body washer on each side of the pvc cap base and insert the 1/4 inch bolt through the washers and cap base. Then, tighten the bolt down to the stock base that you are using. When you get the setting of the center bolt to get to the "slip" tension that you desire, tighten the cross set screw in the base material.

You will have already drilled out the other 1/2 of the base to the diameter of your motor shaft. Slip the base and chuck onto your motor shaft and tighten the set screw that you have previously drilled and tapped.
The pvc cap, with the neoprene chuck and adjusting screw to form the clutch will cost about $1.50 and take about 30 minutes of your time, depending on the speed of your machine shop work.

Just recently, I have been doing some testing with DC brushless motors and controllers for this work. It is going well and the brushless motors and controllers are the ultimate in use and control.

Drop me an e-mail with any more questions:
hflier@comcast.net

Be safe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 16, 2016 01:53PM

If you unhide your e-mail I can send you more details on various types of equipment builds.
Roger

Date: May 16, 2016 03:06PM

Roger,
Thank you for replying with your insight, ideas and photos as well. I will contact you additionally through your email.
Mark T.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2016 03:24PM

I like the apposing magnet tensioners. See Richard Spoul's post here:
[rodbuilding.org]

Date: May 16, 2016 04:57PM

Jerry,
Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Mark T.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: May 16, 2016 05:31PM

G'Day Mark if you can drop me an email or unhide yours I can send you some of the info that you are looking for

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 17, 2016 05:47PM

Hay Roger sounds like you made a friend that does the same as you LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 18, 2016 02:18PM

Bill, Thank you for reponding. From the bit I know of Roger, I sincerely take your comment as a compliment of high regard.
Mark T.

Date: May 20, 2016 11:57PM

Thank you to all who replied to my post to help the newbie out. Special thanks to Roger who went far above the call of duty!!!
Mark T.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster