I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gulf Coast Redfish
Posted by: Mike Tilbury (172.79.54.---)
Date: May 08, 2016 09:54AM

So my mother recently moved from Houston to near Beaumont Texas. She sent me a text last night saying I needed to build her a rod to fish for redfish. I was a tad perplexed as my mother doesn't fish. So I tried to get some info from her on how she would be fishing. She told me she would be fishing from shore off the bottom.
Having never fished for redfish and being in the Mitten and fishing my addiction of Steelhead, I gather they are a similar fight. What blank should I be looking at? 8' ish with a light action with some backbone?

Thanks
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gulf Coast Redfish
Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2016 11:18AM

Try to get some more info from her. River fishing from a private pier, surf fishing with a sand spike, etc? What size reel? Can she transport a 7 or 8' rod, or should it be a 2 pc? I bet she's been fishing with someone and wants her own rod.

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 08, 2016 12:34PM

I'm a mitten state guy too. I built several technique specific redfish rods for some guys on the east coast last year on Batson XST's in the 8-12 and 10-17 lb. ratings. They've been very well received.

Posted by: Mike Tilbury (---.sub-70-210-66.myvzw.com)
Date: May 08, 2016 01:20PM

Jerry

Much to my surprise she stated Noone has taken or showed her anything! She has just been doing some reading and wants to give it a whirl. She said she would be fishing the channels from the lake to the Marsh with minnows, shrimp & crab. I will probably purchase or donate a 2500 size tell to the cause, but with it being salt I'll probably purchase her a new spinning

Posted by: Mike Tilbury (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2016 01:22PM

It would need to be 2pc

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2016 01:38PM

Popping blanks are very popular on the Tx coast. I don't see any Rainshadow 2 pc, but Mudhole has both the P843 and the P903 in 2 pc. A 3000 size Shimano is same size as the 2500, but more line capacity, which you sometimes need w/ reds on 10-12 lb line.

Posted by: Michael Maclean (---.sub-70-209-49.myvzw.com)
Date: May 08, 2016 04:24PM

I have built a rod for a friend for that same technique. Shore fishing with live or frozen bait from the coast. I prefer a mod fast or a moderate action to help keep the bait on the hook while I cast. I'd go with a 9' rod that could handle 20lb line on a 4000 size reel. I'd go with the 9ft simply for casting distance and the 4000 size reel will hold plenty of enough line. I'd ask her how heavy of a weight she would be using and determine the heaviness of the rod on that.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 08, 2016 07:41PM

I like MHX P844-2, it has more back bone than the P843-2, but still has a soft tip, a very good rod for redfish and other inshore species. It works well using a popping cork, live lining bait, top water lures, and jigs. It is quite reasonably priced, a very good buy.
Norm

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 08, 2016 08:17PM

We still have some of the Batson RX7 "Hot Shot 2 pc X-Fast blanks, here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Also the now discontinued RX7 "Popping" blanks in 2 pc now on sale;
[www.schneidersrods.com]*

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 09, 2016 09:14AM

Redfish have the same size, feeding habits, type of mouth, scales, shape, and put up the same type of fight as carp. A rod built to bait fish for carp in the mitten would work well for Texas redfish if the components were resistant to salt water corrosion.

Posted by: Philip Marz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 09, 2016 09:17PM

I think you'd be better off going to something a little heavier, 7'-12/20 line weight-1/4 to 1 oz. lure weight-med heavy. She'll have better control chunkin bait besides you can get blind sided at any time catching 26 to 28" fish then get hammered by a 20+ pounder. Matching that with a 3000 to 4000 size reel would be a good all around setup. You can chunk bait or throw lures and have enough beef in your hand to handle whatever comes along.

Phil

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 11, 2016 02:38PM

Mike,
we regularly setup guys looking at doing this technique. Most end up using a ST1023 or ST1083 MHX blank more Mod/Fast action with a little more length but plenty of power to handle these fish.

Regards,

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster