I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX Fly Blanks........Thoughts?????/
Posted by: Tony Ruffino (172.56.17.---)
Date: May 05, 2016 01:44AM

Hello All,

I was looking at the MHX Fly blanks and like the price points as well as the models. I'm looking for a 9-10 foot 5-6wt with fast action to indicator fish stillwaters.

What do you think of the MHX Fly blanks?

Thanks,
Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX Fly Blanks........Thoughts?????/
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 05, 2016 06:51AM

Tony

For bait casting and spin I really like MHX. However, MHX fly blanks are not my cup of tea. Nonetheless, as you want fast action at a competitive price, MHX has to be on the short list of better value blanks.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 05, 2016 07:39AM

The quality on the MHX is very good, I just think they are a bit too stiff for my taste. I would steer you towards a CTS Affinity X blank. In the Carbon Fiber market, they have the best stuff today in my opinion. My primary indicator nymphing stick is an Affinity X 965-4. It also handles dries and dry/dropper rigs very well even though I prefer a much "slower" rod for that work. I have also used the Affinity X 965-4 for fishing out of my float tube, slow stripping a pair of nymphs, that extra 6 inches of length makes long casts a bit easier when sitting low in the water. The tips on the Affinity X are just stiff enough for good hook sets, but soft enough to protect light tippets.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 05, 2016 08:41AM

I have a 6WT. MHX rod which I pair with 7 WT lines. It seems to be a high quality, medium fast blank. I use it mostly for shad fishing, casting weighted flies on #4 hooks with 1X leaders 60 or 70 feet. How well the MHX or any blank suits an angler depends upon the species and size of fish being pursued, the casting ability of the angler, the size of the flies used, distance cast, and type of leader. As a general rule slower action rods are preferred for smaller prey and shorter casts.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: May 05, 2016 09:44AM

Give a serious look at the new Bushido Fly Blanks from American Tackle. They are light, straight, durable, and sensitive. They recover very quickly, but are not screaming fast on the tip, which makes them act like blanks that cost $$$ More. These blanks offer serious bang for the buck. They are also priced very nicely for the quality of the blank you get. I posted on one that I built about a month ago. Check them out.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 05, 2016 10:35AM

There are a lot of very good fly rod blanks out there, and they vary in action, feel and price. Picking a rod blank remotely is difficult because you can not feel and compare blanks in person. Relying on recommendations it not much easier. I assume you liked the discription given by MHX and want a fast action rod. In my opinion their description is accurate,. MHX fly rods are very nice, cast well and feels light in the hand. For the money they are a good buy. Because they are a high modulus graphite they will have a stiffer feel than a lower modulus graphite blank and having a fast action enables a quicker stroke, but requires a little more skill to cast. The last MHX 5wgt I built was paired with a CFX carbon fiber grip, like it very much.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 05, 2016 11:34AM

Fast action blanks load and cast just as easily as slower action blanks. The trick is having the right line for the distance you're fishing, or the right rod for the line you're using. Nine times out of ten, a person having difficulty with a "stiff" fast action fly rod is underlined.

Posted by: Tony Ruffino (---.tmodns.net)
Date: May 06, 2016 12:27AM

Thank you very much. This is all helpful. I might have to check out the CTS blanks and the CFX carbon fiber handle.

Tony

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: May 09, 2016 11:10AM

MHx 10' 4wt with a true 5wt line (i.e. Rio Gold) casts beautifully up to 70 feet. It is my go to stillwater rod for trout.
Finished rod with single foot wire guides: ERN:5.4, AA: 70, CCF: 76 (as a 5wt).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster