I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

masking tape
Posted by: Jim Wilson (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2016 11:21AM

ran across a darker blue tape, , works great on guides last a long time.
witch brand last a long time,
Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: masking tape
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2016 12:00PM

The blue or green 3M painter's tape is definitely easier to remove if you have to leave it in a place for more than a few days. Regular tape often leaves a residue if you leave it on the rod for very long.

Posted by: Robert Dittert III (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2016 12:10PM

Never tried the painters tape. Think I have some laying around, might use some and see how it goes.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2016 12:20PM

Correct about the light tack of painters tape.

But, the light tack causes problems for me when working with small guides. Not enough stick um to hold the guides well with minimum tape and size.

So, any time that I work with the smaller guides, I have changed my policy to just tape up the guide that I am going to be wrapping in the next few minutes, rather than taping up a dozen rods and getting to them the same day or some day a week or two from when I put the guides on the blank.

Take care

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: April 22, 2016 01:15PM

Another option is to use the blue/green painter's tape AND a blocking device to stop the guide from migrating. I use a toothpick that has a slant cut on one end. The slant also forces the tip of the foot flat to the blank.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 22, 2016 04:20PM

Hello All.

I use the painters tape with a wrap or two of regular tape (just not quite as wide) over it to hold it in place, so it holds but comes off easy.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Sheridan Stanton (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 22, 2016 09:02PM

I use the cheapest masking tape I can find, cut a dozen small pieces and stick them all over the machine so they're handy. Mostly use 2 foot guides so it works pretty well. Any residue is between the under and over wrap.The store brands at the big box stores seem to stick better than the name brands. Use blue painters tape to protect the hardware when I'm turning cork, works great for that.

Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: April 23, 2016 12:02PM

What about super glue or hot glue to hold them in place? A friend of mine who used to run a fly shop uses that technique all the time and it seems to work pretty well?

Ideas?

Date: April 23, 2016 02:49PM

I never liked using glue because it leaves lumps on the rod and it makes the guides tough to align.

Be safe

Posted by: Pat Barnard (47.210.187.---)
Date: April 23, 2016 08:06PM

Try using the smallest rubber tubing cut in small lengths, tried it and have never went back to tape. Wrap up to the band, slice with razor blade and your done. No residual.

Pat Barnard

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 23, 2016 08:23PM

I hold guides on with rubber bands Static test
But
I also sand the feet with220 paper dry This gives a coarse feel and helps the thread not slip off the feet

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2016 07:08AM

For small guides, the little rubber bands orthodontists use work great. Even with the smallest sizes, i still have to double them sometimes, but they hold well and leave no residue. Just ask at an orthodontist's office. They're used to those requests from all sorts of craft makers.

Posted by: Paul Pipke (---.vf.shawcable.net)
Date: April 24, 2016 10:20AM

Pat Barnard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Try using the smallest rubber tubing cut in small
> lengths, tried it and have never went back to
> tape. Wrap up to the band, slice with razor blade
> and your done. No residual.
>
> Pat Barnard

Pat
Do you mean surgical tube, what size, I am guessing 1/16" ID ?
Smallest I can find locally is 1/4"

Date: April 24, 2016 11:39AM

Posted by: Sheridan Stanton (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 24, 2016 12:54PM

Wow Orthodontist rubber bands,never thought of that. I have a bunch of them,we use them for mooching for salmon to hold the bait on. Great idea

Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: April 25, 2016 04:49PM

Sheridan Stanton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use the cheapest masking tape I can find, cut a
> dozen small pieces and stick them all over the
> machine so they're handy. Mostly use 2 foot guides
> so it works pretty well. Any residue is between
> the under and over wrap.The store brands at the
> big box stores seem to stick better than the name
> brands. Use blue painters tape to protect the
> hardware when I'm turning cork, works great for
> that.

Never mind the super glue idea. I work with Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing, and we were building rods. One of the Vets decided he didn't want to finish his rod. Had the handle on and the tip top and one guide. The guide was way off center, so I cut the threads. He had used superglue on the guide. A real mess, had to use 400 grit paper to get it back smooth then a coating of semi-gloss poly to get the finish back.

Guess I'll stick with the tried and true tape method. I have never found rubber tubing of small enough diameter to work on the tip sections.

Posted by: Robert Moody (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 25, 2016 05:55PM

On really small micro guides I use small bands of surgicaltubing or hot glue. Either method works great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster