I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sanding the waves technique
Posted by: edward zinda (---.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 31, 2016 01:20PM

On my first full build (I re built a few sabre and fenwick rods prior) I did a rainshadow swimbait rod.. the rod generally came out good but has some small waves in the long sections of finish.. the rod preforms great and my fishing friends love it, but the little waves bug me.. I have read here to either sand and add another coat or add another coat.. (has 2 coats of FC lite) if I sand then what is the actual technique? block? wrap the sand paper and spin the rod? wet/dry? .. or just scuff add another coat? if so whats a good technique?.. thanks for any help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sanding the waves technique
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2016 01:30PM

Putting more finish on top of already wavy finish will only result in a wavier finish.

Block sand level, then add a thin recoat.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2016 03:52PM

Edward,
Tom is right about adding more finish on the top of an already wavy finish.

However, since you only have two coats of flex coat lite on the rod, your finish thickness is not very thick. You can try block sanding the waves, but remember, you do not want to actually sand through the finish to the threads.
Therefore, sometimes it makes sense to add one more coat of finish before starting to sand just to give you some cushion when you sand off the waves from the rod.

Block sanding works very well. But, too aggressive sanding with too coarse paper will quickly cut through a thin finish.

Sanding is the only way to get the waves out, but you have to do it with care and with caution.

Rather than sanding when the rod is spinning, I might suggest that you just block sand - lengthwise on the rod, turning the rod as you sand, keeping a very close eye on the remaining thickness of the finish.

When done, with a smooth top - then put a coat or two back on for the final glass look on the rod.

When you did your initial rod coating, you put too much finish on the rod, that turned into waves. Better to use 4 or 5 very light coats rather than one or two very heavy coats that have been applied unevenly on the rod.

Good luck

Posted by: Mat Peirce (72.50.244.---)
Date: March 31, 2016 04:37PM

If you lay on a glob of finish on with your brush then pull the finish from butt to tip on the rod with your brush it will never be wavy. use fast strokes to keep the finish uniform. This works well for longer areas of continuous finish

Date: March 31, 2016 06:59PM

all great replies Fellas.. I have a hard rubber old style sanding block and some 400 wet/dry.. would that be where to start or coarser/finer.. wet or dry? thanks again.. Ed

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 31, 2016 07:58PM

Since you are using a light finish you can ( with care ) block sand Dry - Wet is hard to see what it looks like )
Careful not to go into the I guess the decal or whatever If a guide wrap I would just put another GOOD COAT of finish on Do the guides ONLY After coating wait Check to see how it levels out 10 - 20 minutes If it looks like there is too much -- Stop the dryer and let it drip Take the drips off with the brush Do several 180 Hand turns Then turn the dryer on let it turn -- Babysit it Check often

The decal area A light sanding dry Clean ( do not wash with alcohol ) If you have a 9 RPM dryer load the finish on After the guides are done !! -- Like said after coating run the brush I do it from one end left 3/4 s to the right Then right to left
Let turn And of course -- Baby site to see how it looks

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 01, 2016 10:09AM

Thanks again.. the whole rod turned out wonderful and I am totally happy with everything except this 6" long section in front of the fore grip.. I installed a hook keeper at the 6" mark and decided to run a couple coats of finish from fore grip to hook keeper to protect the blank from hard glide baits and such.. I studied several High end rods and they were set up this way.. there is no thread under the wavy area,, just blank..even if you look at the rod straight on its hard to notice but I notice..haha . Ed

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster