I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which Length
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2016 10:53AM

So guys, settled on a rod blank, plan to go with the Spin Jig Bushido Warrior blank, either the SJ68/6-12 or the SJ72/6-12 version. Guess I am weighing my options as to which one will be the best length. The rod is really for light finesse presentations for 2.8 size open water keitechs and light 1/4 oz finesse jigs.... Was thinking the longer length will give me the casting ability, guess I am leaning towards the 7'2... Anyone like the shorter version for these techniques?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which Length
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2016 11:18AM

When both rods will cast your presentation probably further than your ability to feel and get a good hookset on the fish, I look for other reasons for selecting rod length.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 20, 2016 12:25PM

I prefer shorter, as the rod usually balances better.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2016 12:34PM

Longer is better for hook setting in most instances as it allows you to move the line further per the same distance on your end. It can also be an asset in fish fighting as it absorbs more of the fish's lunges and runs. On the other hand, it will also give the fish a longer lever to use against you.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: March 20, 2016 09:53PM

Both are great blanks. My choice is the SJ72/6-12. My favorite blank it the SJ72/4-8 for panfish and smallies.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 20, 2016 10:27PM

You can always Flip a Coin ?? LOL you are not going for Heavy tuna -- I would go long

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2016 10:29PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-70-194-109.myvzw.com)
Date: March 21, 2016 10:49AM

I'm a novice rod builder, but not a novice fisherman. You really have a simple choice here. Which is more important to you: longer casts or more accuracy? Everything else being the same, longer rod equals longer casts,; shorter rod equals more accurate casts.

You're building a very nice finesse bass rod, on which I assume you'll be using light line. A lower power rod, with lighter line, makes it difficult to get a good hookset at distance.

I'd go with the shorter blank.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 21, 2016 11:36AM

In past years, I generally fished jigs with 5 1/2 to 6 foot rods. Then, the style fishing was changing and folks began to use longer and longer rods for jig fishing. First it was 6'3", then 6'6", then 6'10" and on to 7', 7'6" and 7'10 inches.

Over time - I fished with every length listed using jig weights from 1/32 oz up to 5/8th of an oz.

The 5 1/2 foot rods are a nice compact rod and work really well for vertical jig fishing over the side of the boat, if the boat is not too wide. The negative of such a rod, is that the short length tends to limit casting distance.

The common at one time 6 foot rods, are nice for vertical jig fishing with todays wider boats where the seats are further from the sides of the boat. Here again, the 6 foot rods tend to limit casting distance a bit.

Then, we move on to 6'6" length. For myself, this has proved to be the jig fishing rod length of choice for today's jig fishing. Longer than the shorter rods, but shorter than the longer rods.

Sometimes, if one wants to err a bit on the side of casting distance, then the length is increased to 6'10". Still a nice length, but not quite as food for vertical jigging as a bit shorter rod will work.

Then, we go onto the 7' and longer rods. Yes, the 7 foot rods will give a person a bit more casting distance. But an awful lot of jig fishing is such that the absolute greatest casting distance is not important. Rather, precision casting to a spot is more important. Casting accuracy tends to be better with a slightly shorter rod.

Then, one can go on to rods longer than 7' rods like 7'2" and 7'6". Generally speaking for strictly jig fishing I seldom fish with these rods.

However, if I am crank bait fishing, or live bait fishing, I will almost always fish with a 7'2", 7'6" or 7'10" rod. For the applications of crank bait fishing or live bait fishing which works better for me if I use a slower action rod, also works better for me if the length is longer.

So, at the end of the day - use the rod that suits you for your particular style of fishing and use the rod with the appropriate power and action that suits the style needed for that particular way of fishing.

Over the years, I have also made an interesting comparison. This is no surprise, but it seems that for many of the folks for whom I build rods like a jig fishing rod that is about their height or perhaps up to 4 inches longer than their height.

i.e. taller folks tend to prefer longer rods. Conversely, folks who are a bit shorter, tend to pick up slightly shorter rods for their preferred way of fishing. I think that the length with respect to height comparison tends to be a handling issue.
i.e. tall folks tend to have longer arms and are comfortable with longer arms, with the potentially longer leader length etc. But the reverse also tends to be true for folks that are a bit shorter. With a shorter person who also tends to have slightly shorter arms, the shorter rods tend to be more comfortable for them to use.

Of course with every general case, and every general rule - there are a million exceptions. So, at the end of the day, build the rod for your or your client's needs to meet his expectations of the perfect rod. It may be long, it may be short, or it may be somewhere in between. But, if you build the rod to desired specifications it will be an exceptional rod, meeting all of the design criteria.

Be safe

Posted by: John Shear (198.135.125.---)
Date: March 21, 2016 01:51PM

My rod locker defines the max length for most rods. ;) Musky rods are longer but I don't store them in a locker.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster