I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newer guides?
Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2016 08:32PM

Seems after being gone for some time things have changed a bit in guide options. I dont remember what I used to use but many of them were Forecast. Its very had to decipher what is a good guide now days. I build mostly bass and walleye rods. Could someone point me in the right direction to a decent guide. The descriptions of all of them make even the cheapest junk guides sound awesome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newer guides?
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 15, 2016 10:27PM

Nothing comes close to Fuji. Each one is like a little piece of jewelry.
I can't see doing all that work and hanging on guides that are less then 100%.
Herb

Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 15, 2016 10:51PM

The days of one good guide company are really over. There are several good options actually.

Just being biased, I think you will find that Kigan is also a very formidable brand - now used on St Croix, Dobyns, Kistler, ALX Rods, Airrus, Greys, Hardy, Harrison, Loop, and several other smaller manufacturers/brands. It says a lot when Kigan is the guide of choice on St Croix's top end saltwater rod models.

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: March 16, 2016 12:02AM

Throw American Tackle in the Mix with the MicroWave guide family, the guide system that changes everything.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: March 16, 2016 08:32AM

my choices are the Alps from Batson, Kigan's, Fuji and then Pac Bay. I have noticed a small weight advantage going to Batson's over Fuji (I compared the Y style spinning frames). I didn't have any of the Kigans so I cannot comment about a comparison. All of my Kigan's of that style are currently on rods. I've used the Minima 4's on many ultra lights and a couple of ice rods, and they work great for that. I've got Microwaves and they are OK and I also have the Airwaves that I DON'T like one bit ( they look like a cheap stamped inadequate item), the Minima 4s IMO are a much better guide.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2016 09:43AM by Thomas Kaufmann.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: March 16, 2016 08:58AM

Comments deleted

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:48PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Dean Fowler (107.77.94.---)
Date: March 16, 2016 11:01AM

I would have to say the Microwave Guides by American Tackle are my favorite. They are excellent quality. We are gaining distance and accuracy with these guides.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 16, 2016 11:14AM

It is difficult to find a really bad rod blank for sale today. Maybe if you did an exhaustive search and bought the cheapest one available? I suspect the same is true of guides. We rod builders tend to be obsessive. Component manufacturers are aware of this.

Date: March 16, 2016 11:49AM

I agree with using Snake Brand Universal snakes. BUT - I wish Mike would shape the feet thinner and sharper. I use "00" and "000" thread to wrap my runners on all fly rods up to #10. I get a much lower wrap profile and lighter weight doing so. I also like the way it looks better.

I don't like to file the feet removing the coating and exposing the SS metal and inviting corrosion. But the "00" and "000" do not ride -up the feet well on the un-prepped feet.
Mike insists that his commercial accounts do not feel it is necessary.

Re non-Fuji ceramics. I have found that some have "spurs" of ceramic material that ruin fly lines and don't feel like continually running nylon stockings through rings to find snags.
Herb

Date: March 16, 2016 12:45PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:48PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2016 04:36PM

Travis

You can add me to the growing list of Snake Brand devotees for snake guides. Both the Universal and the Lite Wire Universals are terrific.

Date: March 16, 2016 05:31PM

I think Ill try some Microwaves since its something I have never tried before. Any advice on them?

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2016 06:06PM

Microwaves will come with the guide spacing from the reel for the first 3 guides. After that set the runners for what the blank needs and do static test to make sure of savings. After that you will have the best guides money can buy. Enjoy.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 16, 2016 08:08PM

Travis

I'll add to the pot, I like the Minima 4 guides by Pac bay. They take an unbelievable amount of abuse, accept any type of line, light weight and functional.

John

Date: March 16, 2016 10:35PM

thanks guys!! Looks like I have lots more research to do looking at what you ll are using. Building 2 new spinning rods on matching Castaway blanks

Date: March 17, 2016 07:48AM

Hi John P.
I am using 3/0 with #3 and #4 snakes. Perhaps you are using smaller guides and that is why you are having an easier time of it than I.
Herb

Date: March 17, 2016 08:06AM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:48PM by John E Powell.

Date: March 17, 2016 10:12AM

Hmmmmm
Wonder if Mike changed the foot shape a little. Will have to get some new guides and try again.
Hreb

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.rcm-wpa1.kent.edu)
Date: March 18, 2016 10:54AM

The guides available in the US market that I've tried are all fantastic, AmTak, Batson, Fuji, Kigan, Pac Bay, and Sea Guide. Each manufacturer has design details that are slightly different, and those subtle details affect my guide selection for various builds. I don't really think there are many guides available to the custom rod builder that are poor designs.

Sea Guide is definitely worth a look, if you have not tried them yet. As John noted, the weights are very comparable to guides I had on hand to compare with. I'm quite impressed.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 18, 2016 03:00PM

Joe nailed it. "Feeling" the difference between different guides used on the same blank is completely objective until someone provides measurable physical data (proof) that one guide provides longer casts than the other. Until then only durability is up for grabs, unless you value hype more than performance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster