I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Any flippin rod tips?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 10, 2016 09:31PM

I'm about to start my first flippin rod, 7' 6" heavy telescoping blank. Never seriously fished this way with a rod designed for it. Given I know so little, do any of you have any tips for me in setting up the rod? For example, I saw a "pro" on TV flippin and he had a big round (REALLY BIG) butt knob, I presume it's for balance. Any comments on that? Or other things a newby may not know? thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any flippin rod tips?
Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2016 10:05PM

If you're talking about Shaw Grigsby those are a slip on butt they call a Koosh or something. They're a flotation device. Personally I don't buy into adding weight to a bass rod to "Balance" it. A well thought out handle and guide train on a quality blank usually feels and fishes pretty well. Some feel a Mod Fast action helps keep the fish hooked. I find a mod-fast preferable for punching (1.5oz> weight fished through matted cover) otherwise I still build Hvy & XH flipping sticks on 7'6" - 7'11" fast action blanks with beefy powerful butts. 10.5-12.5" rear grips. Spiral wrapped

Posted by: chris newkirk (---.238.136.40.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 10, 2016 10:17PM

As Mike hit on, be sure to give yourself plenty of length on the grip section so you can control the flip/pitch and also have good leverage to set the hook and pull a fish out of or from around heavy cover. I too like a spiral wrap, but since it's your own custom build, do what you'd like.

Date: March 11, 2016 06:52AM

I don't normally add weight to balance a rod either, but thought it might be different for flippin rods. I'm not a fan of spiral, will stick with the Fuji system, 6mm running guides, all on top. The guides are so low that there is not appreciable torque induced, IMO. Yes, it was Grigsby. I normally don't stand his goofiness for long, but had to watch for the flippin technique tips.

Posted by: doug raff (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 11, 2016 09:21AM

On the telescoping flippin' rods I've built, I embed a dowel in the butt that will gently hold the upper rod piece in place when the rod is collapsed. The dowel is sized to the inner dimension of the upper piece

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.32.---)
Date: March 11, 2016 09:59AM

Since it's a telescoping blank, you'll need to install the first guide in a position just outside the blank's length when collapsed, you don't want any guide damage from collapsing the blank for storage.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: March 11, 2016 01:34PM

I used to enjoy watching Shaw before he turned into a walking billboard. I understand sponsorship, but really! Sorry off topic.

Date: March 11, 2016 03:52PM

Thanks Spencer, that's the kind of thing I might have overlooked. I think it will come out OK naturally, but will make sure.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: March 12, 2016 05:07PM

Michael,
Are you flipping or pitching? There is a LARGE difference between the two. You will find that even the "pro's" on TV get it mixed up. Many anglers and builders use the terms universally and that lends for a lot of confusion as to which technique you are actually using. IMO the builds are completely different and there are many variables that must be taken into account especially for a true flipping rod.

If you are simply pitching your baits, build in whatever is your normal style and use your typical components. What reel are you using? This can add yet another variable that must be considered. If it is a flipping rod I used to build them with a larger stripper than I would typically use to get the extra height I feel that is needed. I now like to use either the Kigans as well as some of the higher framed Fuji's that lend well to accomplish this.

Do a quick search of some of the post by Steve Gardner and you will come up with a large amount of information that should help you out quite a bit.

Tom

Date: March 13, 2016 08:28AM

Doug, could you elaborate on the dowel? I don't understand, thanks

Tom, I plan to do mostly pitching with the rod, dropping heavy jigs/trailers into holes in very thick cover. Not sure of the reel yet, but have an old round Abu Garcia that I don't use for anything any more, but I could go in any direction. I'll do the search. thanks

Date: March 13, 2016 03:22PM

I checked the videos on Utube and what I will be doing is mostly pitching, not flipping. As I understand flipping, the reel becomes, as in fly fishing , just a tool to hold the line and fight the fish after hooking.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster