I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Heat for epoxy on wraps
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 09, 2016 10:39PM

What's your preferred heat type to use on epoxy once applied to wraps - mostly for bubble busting. I currently use a long stem Bic lighter, and use the side of the flame.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heat for epoxy on wraps
Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2016 11:40PM

Very carefully with a heat gun.

Nick

Posted by: chris newkirk (---.238.136.40.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 10, 2016 12:30AM

I've always used a plain ol' propane torch with great results. Like any heat source though, don't get it too close and don't hold it too long. I use a repetitive up and down motion over the top portion of the rod as it is turning which quickly puts the heat near the finish and quickly pulls it away. I have a heat gun too, but prefer the precision of the torch, especially if using it near the end of a wrap near the winding checks.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 10, 2016 12:51AM

I never use heat, just blow on the bubbles with a straw, works great, if you don't have lots of bubbles from brushing or mixing.

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.sub-70-194-163.myvzw.com)
Date: March 10, 2016 07:19AM

I was told a long time ago from a rod builder who was also a chemist and knew how to make epoxy, that the CO2 in your breathe was what made bubbles in epoxy pop. I don't know if it actually true but it's always worked for me.

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.sub-70-194-163.myvzw.com)
Date: March 10, 2016 07:24AM

After a Google search, it seems the CO2 is what makes the bubbles pop, either from a flame or breathe. A heat gun may work but it isn't producing CO2. I'll still stick with my breathe.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2016 07:32AM

Gentle heat, if needed at all, will cause the bubbles to expand and rise to the surface where they dissipate from the epoxy. The gentle heat also slightly thins the epoxy which itself allows the bubbles to rise and escape.

Best thing is to not use heat at all. A mechanical mixer and proper application technique generally do not create any bubbles to begin with. If you do end up with them, a butane cigarette lighter is convenient and sufficient for bubble release. It only takes a very few seconds.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: March 10, 2016 07:37AM

There are a number of tools that work but a lighter is one of the quickest to cause potential issues with soot swirls etc.. a small torch works well but can quickly burn your epoxy and mark up a wrap if you get too close. We highly suggest the Bubble Buster. Very affordable and they burn very clean. They burn 82% or higher rubbing alcohol so there is no soot to speak of. You can squeeze the bottle to direct air out of a little port pointed at 90 from the flame that lets you apply heat to your trouble spots without having to put the flame under it. Very kool tool and fun to use. [www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 10, 2016 08:00AM

I mix with an auto mixer, and generally have few to no bubbles in the finish - bubbles seem to come from air gaps in the threads, and finish displacing the air. Would be great to avoid this if I could.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: March 10, 2016 09:06AM

Comments deleted

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:53PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Victor Heal (107.77.161.---)
Date: March 10, 2016 09:28AM

Three. Luckily I got mine put out before it did any serious damage to anything except my ego. I no longer use it obviously. I mix carefully and use a lighter only when necessary.

Posted by: Victor Heal (107.77.161.---)
Date: March 10, 2016 09:28AM

Hit the button twice.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2016 09:29AM by Victor Heal.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2016 09:37AM

At some point, common sense has to kick in. There are rod builders who cut themselves badly with single edge razor blades, Xacto knives, etc. Others have dropped lumber on their toes while working on their rod building benches. How many items and tools should I ban from mention? The one thing I won't do is enact any policy intended to protect people from themselves.

On the other side of the coin, and one that common sense also dictates, is that people always consider the source of the information they take under advisement. One of the biggest problems with the internet, in fact, is that it is easy to take advice from any forum, video, etc., and accept it as valid, scientific, correct, etc., information without ever considering the credential of the person that proffered it.

Listen to all the advice and then use your common sense to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2016 11:00AM

The one concern that I have about the use of a classic lighter is that the classic lighter burns with a yellow flame.

The yellow flame indicates poor combustions. As a result, there is actually soot associated with a yellow flame.

If one does use a flame any where near a rod, one should use a flame that is invisible or blue in color. The invisible flame or the blue flame indicates complete combustion with no smoke and or soot being deposited where ever the flame is burning.

I use a heat gun if any heat is required and it works very well. Again as has been said with all of the other advice - Gentle Heat - used very sparingly is the ticket - if heat is required at all.

Be safe

Posted by: Phil Juhring (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 11, 2016 06:43AM

I use either a Butane Micro torch or a Propane torch. Again, no direct heat. I actually put my hand behind whatever epoxy I want to apply heat to so I can get an idea of temp.

So it is either a waving action or I'll aim the flame under the epoxy and let the heat rise to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2016 06:44AM by Phil Juhring.

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 11, 2016 09:50AM

I use a small butane torch made by BernzOmatic that i bought at one of the big box stores. Works great. It's hard to explain, but it has a feature that produces heat without the actual flame being directed at the wrap or epoxy. i have never had a problem with soot or too much heat. As others have said, I use a rotating mixer and if I apply heat I keep the torch moving.

Posted by: Mat Peirce (72.50.244.---)
Date: March 11, 2016 10:08AM

Lighter and side of the flame for me too

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2016 10:52AM

Got an alcohol lamp on the work bench and real wood driver in the golf bag. Both are just for show. Cannot control and don't use either

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2016 11:15AM

Donald,
Don't you use the alcohol lamp to melt the glue for gluing tips to the rod?

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: March 11, 2016 01:43PM

The blowing through a straw method works fine for me. Lynn

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster