I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Improving Your Epoxy....
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2016 10:00AM

For years I have struggled with getting my epoxy to come out perfect over the decal areas on my rods. I have tried thinning the epoxy, heating it gently, applying it at +/- 200 rpm, trying numerous brands of epoxy, and no matter which method tried or epoxy used, I most likely ended up with bumps and dips that had to be sanded and re-coated. I spent over $500 building a 4 rod drying cabinet with exhaust fan and still have not been happy with my results.

After rereading article in the Library entitled "A Better Epoxy Finish", ( for the 2nd or 3rd time) , I thought I would give it a try, after pulling out all my hair! I applied the epoxy, (Threadmaster High Build), and turned the rod 180 degrees every 2 mins for the first +/- 2 hours. I them went to rotating it 180 degrees ever 5 mins after about 2 1/2 hours. At 3 hours I put it into my drying cabinet at low speed rotation and the results were: Perfectly Smooth, Glass Like Finish!

Tom I could kiss you....if I was into that kind of thing!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2016 10:01AM by Donald R Campbell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Improving Your Epoxy....
Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2016 10:36AM

good info!!! untill the kissing part

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 04, 2016 11:17AM

Glad you're not into that type of thing.

One thing I want to highlight and something that many took from the article by looking at the photos and not actually reading it, is that the article does NOT advocate putting on epoxy and then allowing it to droop to the bottom whereupon you "wick" it off. The article is quite clear that as soon as such a droop has formed, your problem has already begun.

It does mention that some builders do this, but only in an effort to fix the problem. At that point, it's the one thing than can save the process, but as the article points out, the best thing you can do is not put on excess finish to begin with.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: March 04, 2016 01:10PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:55PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: March 04, 2016 08:39PM

Donald, I think your procedure would work if you turned it 180 every minute, wicking off excess with the brush 3 or 4 times, for a 1/2 hour. Then put it on the dryer. It works, excess epoxy or not.

Posted by: David Hauch (---.lightspeed.sbndin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 04, 2016 09:28PM

Donald & Tom,
on long applications, like over decals.
how do you apply your epoxy. do you use perpendicular application while turning the rod, or do you apply it lengthwise ?
or can you use both ?

thx,

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2016 10:15AM

David,

On larger areas I apply the epoxy using a sable brush with longitudinal strokes and watching for any bare spots. I then rotate the rod about a 1/4 of a turn and apply epoxy to that area. After the epoxy has been applied to the entire circumference of the area, I gently brush the area with longitudinal stokes to remove any excess epoxy. I epoxy the decal area first, right after mixing the epoxy before it has started to setup.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 10:36AM

I always do the decal area buy itself I do the guides then mix a new batch While turning I coat as a guide Then brush left to right not quite all the way to the end Then go the other way
If I think I have too much I stop then take off any drips Do a 180 several times to level the drips out Then start the turning again I turn at 50 rpm a good speed for applying and drying

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: March 07, 2016 09:22AM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:55PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 07, 2016 06:14PM

If you want to take the chance that it thicken good -- go for it

But I recommend either CP works but Fixative is a lot clearer and a spray

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: gabriele schieda (---.google.com)
Date: March 08, 2016 07:17PM

I agree with bill I do the decal on its own. I do lengthwise strokes. I do the 180 on the decal for 15 mins just to make sure there's no heavier spots. Then I put it on a 9 rpm dryer.

I agree with bill I do the decal on its own. I do lengthwise strokes. I do the 180 on the decal for 15 mins just to make sure there's no heavier spots. Then I put it on a 9 rpm dryer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster