I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which of the HM blank brands do you think are the most resistant to high stick breakage.
Posted by: Tony C Robinson (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2016 11:06PM

Do any of the upper level blank brands ( Point Blank, ST Croix, Phenix, NSC, etc) have a unique construction that particulary helps them resist high stick damage more than others?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which of the HM blank brands do you think are the most resistant to high stick breakage.
Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: March 04, 2016 12:43AM

For me top of the Line blank are for skiller fisherman, who don't High stick.

I think upper level blank use higher carbon module and don't like high sticking.

I applaud Tom for establishing a board where good manners are used, so I will simply state that your answer was not helpful.
Date: March 04, 2016 01:35AM

Of course know high sticking must be avoided, but accidents do happen. I fish out of a kayak where things are less easily controlled. My typical rods are built on IM 7 blanks. They are generally light, sensitive, and tough enough, but I am thinking about building 1 or 2 HM rods for finesse bottom contact work. I know I must sound snarky in my reply, but I really am interested in the feedback I might get.

Re: Which of the HM blank brands do you think are the most resistant to high stick breakage.
Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2016 05:32AM

Eric has given good advice, though not what you are looking for. I haven't found a high modulus blank that excells at dings, bumps, lure knocks, boat bangs, or high sticking. The sc3's sc4 and rx7 are better for that type of thing. Maybe braid on a sc3 would help with sensitivity. If not I would go the sv4 route.
DG

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2016 07:33AM

Not sure which is the best.
But I would most certainly remove Phenix from your list of options!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2016 07:34AM

sorry pushed button twice

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2016 07:36AM by Steve Gardner.

Date: March 04, 2016 11:15AM

I apologize for being snarky last night. I had 6 dental implants put into my jaw yesterday and I was taking a lot of hydrocodone. I completely realize that HM's are more delicate, but I was hoping that someone might have an opinion on one vs. the others, or which HM's to avoid altogether. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2016 03:25PM

The correct answer is - none of the above.

Obtain a solid fiberglass blank, and you can high stick the rod to your hearts content and will never break the rod.

In reality- there is NO good reason to ever high stick a rod, so if you never high stick the blank, you don't break the rod.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 04, 2016 05:59PM

10 X what Roger has just told you

if you are building for some one that keeps on breaking a rod -- because of high sticking and will not listen to you -- either charge him for the repair - or don't build for him if he does not listen to you ???

if you are doing it --- stop it It is a No No

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2016 06:04PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 04, 2016 06:27PM

I suggest you look at Hydra and talk to Alex. Once upon a time he shared some emails with me and I was quite impressed.

If after salt water critters I'd look at composite blanks though. The rclb line will do mid-point+ of their rating with tip pointed at sky and pulled back in a 180 bend to touch the butt. Lamiglass triflex are just about impossible to break.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 01:50AM

I suggest including a look at United Composites dual helix rod blanks. While a bit heavier than most high modulus blanks, they are pretty forgiving in the occasional high stick situation. Although a bit heavier,with the right components you can mitigate that factor. I feel that despite a bit of extra weight in the blank,any rod will still perform at its best as far as sensitivity,etc. when using less finish,micro guides,etc.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 05, 2016 05:55AM

Yes - I'd agree no HM. It's the reason I like good IM blanks so much - they are pretty durable - and I'm not sold that there are many bites you'd feel with an HM blank that you'd miss with an IM blank. Braid has changed that game some, and with braid I like IM way more.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2016 12:13AM

I've used a 7'6 Point Blank casting, 7'6 Phenix Ultra MBX casting, 7'6 Rainshadow Immortal casting, and a 7'6 High-mod MHX spinning all on my float tube where the positioning isn't optimal for bringing fish in. I've used the Phenix without any problems for several years, and so far this year the Point Blank, Rainshadow, and MHX have given me zero problems. I am, however, ultra conscious of the way I position rods when I'm bringing in fish. I enjoy fishing with high-mod blanks but it also comes with doing what I can to prevent the vertical high stick. Plenty of line slack and holding the rod out sideways is the name of the game.

Deal is, as you'd probably expect, you can fish whatever blank you want as long as you fish it properly. Let me know if you have any specific questions on these blanks.

Good luck,
Nick

Edit: As I replied I realize that I might not have answered your question at all. I think the Rainshadow Immortal series is a good compromise. The Eternity2 series is a very high-mod, while the Rx7 is their intermediate-mod series. The Immortal while still "high-mod" is somewhere between the two. To me, it feels the strongest, though I've loaded all the rods pretty heavily (not high sticking of course). Hope it helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2016 12:19AM by Nick Lam.

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2016 06:05AM

If you want to fold the blank in half get a ugly stick you can touch the grip with the tip and not hurt it .

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2016 10:13PM

Full HM is a no go for any type of rough use. MHX just launched an Elite Pro Series. that is in between their standard and HM models as a compromise for such rougher use applications (tournament guys etc)

Date: March 10, 2016 11:24PM

Mike Lawson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Full HM is a no go for any type of rough use. MHX
> just launched an Elite Pro Series. that is in
> between their standard and HM models as a
> compromise for such rougher use applications
> (tournament guys etc)

Thanks Mike. I mostly have a mix of MHX and Batson RX7 which do me just fine. I have been thinking about building a specialty super finesse light jig rod and was looking for any guidance pertaining to my situation. I did not know about the new line from MHX, which is not surprising given that Mudhole's new website doesn't let you look at full product line tables. The Elite Pro looks like a good option.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster