I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Skipping Rod Layout
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2016 08:05PM

Hey guy planning to build on a 5'4 MH blank for skipping docks etc... Was thinking of a spinning reel rather than fighting birds nets on my casting gear... Question I have is, how long of a handle from reel stem to butt would be best on this short of a rod. Would u guys use the KR Concept on this build, or does the shorter length change a potential layout.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Skipping Rod Layout
Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.dhcp.sghl.ga.charter.com)
Date: March 01, 2016 09:30PM

Jay, I built a dock skipping Rod a few years back that was 5' 9". I put a 6" handle on it, as I did not want it to catch on my sleeve. It works quite well. Caught a lot of fish on it. This was before KR and Microwave, and I used the 27X method.

I am just finishing a 5 foot Batson E Glass Rod. On it I went with Microvave Guides.Just used the recommended spacing. I cast 1/16 oz jigs very well. On this Rod I put a 4" grip, as that is what my friend wanted. Hope this helps. Bert Nagy

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: March 01, 2016 11:10PM

Jay, I have a TN handle on my personal rod, that way I can position the reel where I want it. I only did that as I knew I would be upgrading the reel that I had while I was building the rod. I didn't have the new reel so I went with what I thought would be the most universal type of handle that would work for what I was wanting to do. I can honestly say that I do have many TN handles and generally like that style, my first skipping rod had a TN handle on it from St. Croix. I used a 25, 12, 6, then 3.0's out to the tip. I put the 25 at 20.5 from the top of the spool edge at it highest point in its revolution and bulls eyed the rest of the guides on the way to the 3.0's. I would say that you could easily get away with using a 20,10,5 setup depending on the line size that you choose.

My rod is is a SCIII56MF that I cut down. I absolutely love it and couldn't be happier with it. I will say that I have used the 5'10 skipper from Croix and it is nice as well but I prefer the rod that I have. This rod was built far before the KR concept was even a thought so I cannot comment on how well it would work with that layout.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2016 11:20PM

I prefer around 6'3" for skipping docks. biggest problem with a short rod while skipping is the tip doesnt get close enough to the water. Taller the guy the longer the rod needs to be to get it inline with the skip. Also I prefer an extra fast tip to act like a sling shot especially on light finess type lures

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2016 11:32PM

I also would use a 6 inch rear grip on a rod of this length as well.

Be safe

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: March 02, 2016 09:33AM

Mocked it up going with 6 inches... Thanks for the advice guys. An running a layout of 16H, 8H and 5.5M should work perfect with lighter line...

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 02, 2016 12:06PM

KR will work great with the 16 stripper.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: March 02, 2016 04:37PM

I'm with Jim, KR with 16 stripper, very nice light setup. We have a discontinued Castaway 5'9 designed for skipping. It has a purdy white finish and the price is only $24.95. SB592 [www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2016 11:00PM

Jay some thing to consider:
If you are fishing from a bass boat where you will be standing while you're skipping or casting across/over the trolling motor?

You may be better served using a slightly longer rod then you plan on. Having to elevated the rod a bit to miss the control head on the trolling motor will bring your rod tip a little higher then you may like. Which will sharpen the angle of your cast to where your skips will bounce higher off the water. which will in many cases cause your bait to slap or catch the dock causing problems.
Just something to consider.

Using a 7 to 7'6" allows me to keep the rod tip close to the waters surface allowing the bait to maintain a low trajectory alleviating some of those problems

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster