I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

200 Rpm motor
Posted by: gabriele schieda (---.google.com)
Date: February 28, 2016 09:13PM

I have a 200 rpm motor for applying. Will the blank get scratched or damaged on felt stands? Thank you for any input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 200 Rpm motor
Posted by: Michael Maclean (---.knology.net)
Date: February 28, 2016 09:50PM

I would pick up some roller stands just to be safe, plus they are pretty cheap anyways

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2016 10:48PM

You can also apply some masking tape on the blank, at the wear area, to protect the blank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2016 10:49PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 29, 2016 12:09AM

if you use tape the way you apply it an the rotation of rod can made a difference, tape can ball up on you

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: February 29, 2016 05:29AM

I use the fuzzy side of self adhesive "velcro" strips applied to my v-blocks. Never damaged or scratched any of my blanks.

Rog

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (192.75.48.---)
Date: February 29, 2016 10:23AM

you should not have any problems on the felt. the only weight running on it would be the weight of the blank. If you are using wooden v blocks with felt you could always add two thumb tacks on either side of the v and an elastic band over the blank so it wont jump up.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 29, 2016 11:14AM

One issue that may pop up is static build up in the blank it self causing it to attract dust..

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 29, 2016 11:16AM

Yes,
A good idea to put something over the top of the rods in the V block so that if the rod starts to jump when turning, it won't jump out of the V block.

Be safe

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 29, 2016 12:40PM

Hi,

Why so high a RPM? Will you be reducing the speed? Might you be spinning finish off the blank at that speed?

50 RPM is the highest rpm that I have heard used.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: February 29, 2016 01:38PM

Neil,
If you look at the Flex coat catalog, you will find that flex coat sells a motor mounted on a stand, with a slip joint clutch on the chuck and the chuck is mounted on a 200 rpm motor for applying finish. With this system, grap the rod and slow or stop the rod while applying finish. Then, when the tunnels etc. are complete, let go of the blank and it will spin back up to 200 rpm for applying the rest of the finish.

When complete with the finish application and touch up on the rod, switch the rod to a long term dryer that is turning 5-15 rpm.

Be safe

[www.flexcoat.com]

check out item fm200

Date: February 29, 2016 06:20PM

Hi Roger,
Thank you for informing me about the 200 rpm setup. Looks interesting but sooo fast.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 29, 2016 06:32PM

capt Neal

For what ever it is worth Unless you are doing Production work 70 - 100 RPM works well to apply finish Then of course stopping the turner to fix certain areas is good

If you can make a turner that is Speed Adjustable you will be better off This way you can put finish on at high- makes for better Edges on the finish - Stop -- take any excess off do touch ups - then set for maybe a speed you like
This is all up to how you like to work

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 29, 2016 06:51PM

x10 on Bill's comments.

I use a powered rod wrapper that has a maximum speed of 800 rpm.

I use the wrapper to take care of all of my wrapper needs, as well as applying finish to all of the rods being built.

I use a speed of 0-800 rpm to apply finish, but as Bill pointed out, most of the finish application is actually somewhere between 0-25, or 25-100 rpm. For the bulk of the wrap, I spin the rod up. But, when doing the tunnels, have the rod sitting at 0 rpm. Easy to put the rod in the exact position as necessary to fill each side of the tunnel and to work all of the edges as well.

After the finish has set up for about 15 minutes, and is perfect - I will move the rod to a single or multiple rod dryer turning between 6 and 15 rpm for overnight drying. (I have speed adjustment on my dryers as well, so depending on the rod being built, the drying finish may vary depending on my mood and my inclination for a particular rod.

Be safe

Date: February 29, 2016 08:12PM

Sounds different but good.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: gabriele schieda (---.google.com)
Date: February 29, 2016 08:55PM

You guys are amazing thank u, I use 40 rpm now. Exactly I saw the 200 rpm flexcoat machine and I loved it. If the CDN didn't suck right now I would of bought it. I have a flexcoat slip clutch and I want to use my felt stands I got from mudhole. Thanks again

Posted by: Robert Desrosier (64.229.158.---)
Date: March 01, 2016 09:09AM

Gabriele
try a woman's hair tie instead of an elastic.
Bob

Date: March 01, 2016 12:00PM

Robert,
Great idea. The cover on woman's hair tie, also keeps a rod blank from trying to stick to the tie, as opposed to using an elastic - which can tend to grab a blank if the blank gets close to it.

Be safe

Posted by: Chuck Blocker (---.dia.static.qwest.net)
Date: March 01, 2016 01:00PM

I have one of the Flex Coat 200 rpm application systems. I have never had it to throw finish off, I use just as the video from Flex Coat shows ant use 2 coats. The results are nice flat epoxy finishes. If you have the room and can afford it, it I'd worth the price.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster