I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripper guide and noise
Posted by: Sid Thao (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2016 02:30AM

Hello,
When using smaller stripper guide rings with taller "heights" (sorry don't know the proper term, neck?) such as the minima match guides or KR concept guides, does it seem a little noisy when reeling in? I have a size 20 minima match guide on my 8'6" salmon/steelhead rod with a 4000 Ci4 reel and it sure makes a lot of grinding ish noise when I'm reeling in a fish or heavier rig. Or could it just be that I'm not use to non ceramic insert guides? The guide is set 23-24" away from the spool lip of the reel. Should it have been set further?

I feel that though the height of the guide centers it to the reel, the ring may be too small for the spool diameter of the reel and causing more line rub which makes it noisy. Casting is fine but when reeling its a little noisy. Don't know if I should be worry? Any thoughts or input/advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripper guide and noise
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 21, 2016 08:04AM

Couple things - are you running mono or braid? The 20 M guide is a little small for a 4000 size reel to me (have used plenty of those guides). More ring too small than not enough height. And, the Minima's can be noisier than ceramics.

Do you need the size 4000 reel? A 3000 has more the size of a 2500 with more line capacity, just asking as it's easier to swap a reel than strip and re-do guides, at least to check and see if it makes a difference. Good excuse to buy another reel too. Possibly try a size 35 Pfleuguer also.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2016 08:18AM

Sounds like you are using braided line, when you real in with the line under tension braid will make a high pich sawing noise, the more preshure the louder the noise. some lines are louder than others
due to different ways of manufactureiing or brading the line.
nature of the beast.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2016 11:00AM

If your happy with the casting performance, that's the important part. Noise under tension, line slap on the blank when retrieving under little or no tension, etc. is way down on the list of rod building maladies. Things have gotten way to quiet while fishing, used to be everything clicked, whirled or made some other noise while you fished. Enjoy the rod.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2016 11:44AM

Sid,
Since you ask the question and have the ability, cut the size 20 guide off of your rod and tie on a size 30 guide and finish it up.

Then fish with the size 30 guide and see if it helps with the noise.

Are you using braided line?

One way to help chase the noise issue is that the next time that you catch a fish - when you find that you are getting noise from your rod - drop the rod tip and point the line straight toward the fish and reel in the line.

When you do, this you are no longer using the power of the rod to bring in the fish - just the power of the reel. But, when you do this, you are effectively removing any line contact with every guide on the rod, except for the stripper guide.

You will still get some line rubbing on the stripper, but the line will not be really touching the tip top or any of the other guides.

Then, you will be able to able to better analyze the source of your noise.

But, I do agree, that when ever I fish with braided line using virtually any rod - various guides - I do get a noise from the line going through the guides under pressure.

Be safe

Date: February 21, 2016 08:21PM

Hey all. I'm using mono/copolymer line. The size 20 guide did seem a little small for the reel but i thought I had enough height. The reason for the 4000 reel is because fresh king salmons are known to spool guys out when fishing for them on the piers. But I think I might try a 3000 reel which I think should be enough as long as I have my drag set right.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 21, 2016 08:52PM

I have to say I have not much experience with fish like king salmon, most of the bass, walleye, pike and musky I fish don't run more that 10-20 yards at a time. You may like the 3000 reel a lot, but do check for enough line capacity.

I like Spencer's reply!

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2016 11:10PM

If you're comparing any hard chrome finish plated guide to a ceramic, yes, they will be quite noisy. But it's the nature of the beast and nothing to worry about.

Date: February 22, 2016 06:35PM

Thank you all for the reassurance! Much appreciated!

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 25, 2016 12:56PM

The noise is likely not coming from the stripper, probably the runners with no ceramics. Size 20 should be plenty big unless it's too close to the spool.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster