I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

drilling cork and eva
Posted by: danny squier (107.77.161.---)
Date: February 18, 2016 12:33PM

Ild like to try and make my own handles from blocks of corkor Eva I'm having trouble using my drill press keeping my hole strait through the entire piece befor I turn it down. I've tried searching but everything I find is on reaming an existing hole. Do I need a lathe or is there another way. If it's a lathe I need what do u recommend.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: drilling cork and eva
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: February 18, 2016 01:17PM

I believe Flex-Coat reverse pilot bits work for this. Also, watch the Flex-Coat videos available. They are very helpful. Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2016 01:43PM by Lynn Behler.

Date: February 18, 2016 02:06PM

Are you talking about drillibgout apre existing hole with the reverse pilot bit???? I'm lookin to make the very first hole all the way through so I can put it on a spindle to turn it down

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: February 18, 2016 07:53PM

Misread post ,sorry

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 18, 2016 10:32PM

How long of a drill are you using? May want to drill the shorter part with a shorter drill so it does not walk as much, and switch to longer drill as needed. Also a drill with a split point may walk less than conventional drill point.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Date: February 19, 2016 09:17AM

Ill have to try a split tip thanks for the info marc

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: February 19, 2016 11:01AM

I use a lathe to drill unbored blocks, I find this the easiest way to do it. Billy has a Youtube video here if you want to look. [www.youtube.com]

Date: February 19, 2016 04:20PM

That is exactly what I wanted to see and know thank you very much for that video and info...I'm just gonna have to get a different lathe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2016 05:25PM

Danny,
Basically, if you want to drill a thru hole through a square block of EVA - have a 4 jaw chuck on your lathe head stock. Then, you can tighten each individual jaw until the block of EVA is perfectly centered. Then, holding the drill bit in a non revolving tail stock, advance the drill bit into the spinning square block. Juse use a pen on the square block to mark a line from corner to corner on the block. Then, use a center drill bit, drill a tapered hole at the spot of the intersecting lines, which is the center of the square block. Then, using your desired drill bit, hold it against the tapered hole in the end of the block and start the lathe. Once started, the block will maintain its line and the thru hole will be true for the length of the block.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster