I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finding the spine
Posted by: John Walker (---.range86-148.btcentralplus.com)
Date: February 17, 2016 12:22PM

I'm just undertaking my first rod building project. I'm building a 9' #4 fly rod using MHX blanks. I have read a variety of articles about how to find the spine in the blank, however I am really struggling as the blank sections appears to deflect similarly in each direction. How critical is it to spine a rod? I understand at least one prestigious American tackle manufacturer doesn't spine their rods.
Thank you in advance
John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finding the spine
Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 17, 2016 12:30PM

It's not that important. Build on the straightest side. Click on the search button and read some past posts. Good luck.

Posted by: John Walker (---.range86-148.btcentralplus.com)
Date: February 17, 2016 12:48PM

Thanks Michael, That's the answer I was hoping for!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.32.---)
Date: February 17, 2016 12:58PM

Roll the section on your table or countertop, the bend, if any, will rise off the surface. Mark the blank with your china marker, chalk, etc. if it's to the right or left of center while testing you'll see the tip swinging that direction as you roll it. Line up all the marks and your ready to wrap. You can sight down the blank also, but I find it harder on my old eyes, and slower.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 17, 2016 06:12PM

Finding the spline of a Rod is easy simply lay the butt of the blank on the ground and put your hand on the upper section of the blank and move you hand forward and you will feel a jump in the blank and this is the spine. There are some blanks that have a double spine and in that case just build on the biggest of the two spines on the Rod blank and building on the spine of a blank is the best way to get the best prefomance out of any Rod you make.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2016 06:29PM

For your consideration as you grow in rod building experience:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 17, 2016 06:53PM

Building on the spine has questionable if any benefits, When they first started rolling blanks from glass and carbon fiber materials, the spine was very pronounced and it became fashionable to build on either the positive on negative side of the spine. Today it makes very little sense as it has no benefit if fighting fish and little if any in casting as most casting, especially fly is done on multiple planes. The extreme example would be in Spey casting.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.bois.qwest.net)
Date: February 17, 2016 06:59PM

John: I am old school, and spine my blanks. Once you get used to it, it is fast and simple. I put the tip of the blank, or section if it a multi piece rod, in a flat surface, I hold the other end in 1 hand and use my other hand to flex the blank or section. Rotate the blank and you will feel it jump or kick when you hit the spine. Like Glenn said, there might be 2 or 3 spines. Use the widest one, mark it with a china marker. If I am doing a multi piece rod, I do each section, and on a 2 section rod, I put the sections together and spine the whole rod. You may have to make some adjustments to fine tune things.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.bois.qwest.net)
Date: February 17, 2016 06:59PM

John: I am old school, and spine my blanks. Once you get used to it, it is fast and simple. I put the tip of the blank, or section if it a multi piece rod, in a flat surface, I hold the other end in 1 hand and use my other hand to flex the blank or section. Rotate the blank and you will feel it jump or kick when you hit the spine. Like Glenn said, there might be 2 or 3 spines. Use the widest one, mark it with a china marker. If I am doing a multi piece rod, I do each section, and on a 2 section rod, I put the sections together and spine the whole rod. You may have to make some adjustments to fine tune things.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 17, 2016 07:34PM

Yes - skip the spine - built it to the straightest axis.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: February 17, 2016 09:55PM

If it is a decent blank, the straightest axis will be on the spline. It is a simple step, and worth putting the time in with. Lots of schools of thought on the issue, some blanks are really responsive, and others do not seem to care.. It is your call.

Date: February 17, 2016 09:56PM

If it is a decent blank, the straightest axis will be on the spline. It is a simple step, and worth putting the time in with. Lots of schools of thought on the issue, some blanks are really responsive, and others do not seem to care.. It is your call.

Date: February 17, 2016 09:56PM

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2016 10:03PM

There has never been any practical evidence that building on the spine does anything for you. Conversely, there has been quite a bit of actual data and facts that reveal that building on the spine simply isn't important and can actually result in a less than optimum final product.

At any rate, it doesn't make any difference. Do whatever you think best.

Posted by: John Walker (---.range86-150.btcentralplus.com)
Date: February 18, 2016 02:34AM

Thank you guys, I appreciate your contributions.

Posted by: Steve Cassick (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 18, 2016 09:32AM

Okay, I've heard it many ways and have always built paying attention to the spine. I agree with both views of its relevance to building. I find the spine on on each section for matching the sections up, 2,3,4,ect.., then after aligning them together I build on the straighter alignment. Hopefully this will have the spine in the top or bottom. I've found this especially helpful on long rods, spey, switch.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 22, 2016 03:18PM

This "spine" thing dates back to the greenheart/bamboo days, but I have never heard an explanation of what benefits are presumed to result from finding it?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster