I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly guide screw up
Posted by: Andrew kelly (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 09, 2016 11:52PM

I'm in the middle of a 7.5' 5wt fly rod build and realize I made a mistake. I just wrapped and epoxied the tip section, it's a 2piece rod and I added 1 too many size 2 guides.
My intended guide progression was: 1-1-1-1-2-2-3-4-12

Instead I did 1-1-1-1-2-2-2

Can anyone give me some advice on what to do with the unwrapped butt section? Should I use a size 3 and then the 12 stripping guide or jump from size 2 to 4? Use a size 3 and then a 10mm stripper?

I really don't want to try and remove the mistaken size 2. Any advice is appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly guide screw up
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 10, 2016 12:32AM

if this is your rod the fish will never know about it an no one will ever know but you, it is a gift or a sold rod , there again who knows ?
this a a custom rod I think ? correct ? they will look at the wrap, the epoxy , the line up of the guides , in other words don't sweet it no one will ever know if you don't till My 2CTS on it

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 10, 2016 12:34AM

Go with your original 4 - 12 plan. Many now go 12 all the same size running guides.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2016 05:06AM

Get rid of the larger sizes, the 3, 4 and 12 stripper. Continue with the #2's all the way to the stripper and use a #8 or #10 for that.

You don't need all those different size guides, 3 at the most, object is to create the straightest line path. Having a taper of many different guide sizes does nothing except add unnecessary weight to the blank. Use the smallest guide that will pass your line connections and try to keep as much weight off the blank as possible.

Another question, why such large guides in the first place? # 1/0 or maybe even # 2/0 would have been fine for the tip section. Example 1/0, 1/0, 1/0, 1/0, 1/0, 1/0, 1, 1, 8.

I wouldn't strip it off at this point, but something to keep in mind for your next build.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2016 08:02AM

Right. The progression through all those sizes is for the human eye, not the rod nor the line. If you know that size 1's are sufficient to clear your line and any connections, you could have gone 12 - 4 - and 1's on out.

Even so, your rod will work fine.

Posted by: John Ashburn (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2016 09:33AM

Your thought about using a 3-10 is fine. Go for it.

John A.

Posted by: Andrew kelly (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 10, 2016 10:25AM

Thanks for the input guys, I'll use the 3-10 solution. In the future smaller guides and less changes.

Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 10, 2016 05:26PM

If this is your rod just brag about the fish you caught with it. you won't do it again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster