I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

8 foot or 9 foot fly rod for bass?
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: February 05, 2016 09:39AM

Hi all. I was speaking to some local rod builders about fly rods for bass.

One recommended an eight foot, and said the shorter length made the rod more accurate and also easier to handle over a long day of casting - lots of quick casts to cover in comparison to say nymph fishing for trout. He also felt that the shorter length made it easier to control/twitch streamers and top waters when the rod tip is facing downwards. He recommended an eight foot six weight for smallmouth in smaller rivers and streams

The second fellow said a nine foot was fine, and that the advantages of a shorter rod were overrated, and more of a marketing tool for specific bass models of fly rod blanks (although he did admit that a rod has to be under a certain length to use in a professional bass tournament). He recommended a nine foot seven weight for the same conditions because it would cast bigger flies than the six weight.

So from those who have built bass fly rods, do you see any real difference between a 8 foot or 9 foot blank as per the positions put forward by these two gentlemen?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 8 foot or 9 foot fly rod for bass?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 05, 2016 09:53AM

This will likely only muddy the waters for you, but I like a 8'6". That seems to offer the best of all worlds, for me, anyway.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: February 05, 2016 10:06AM

we have a lot of smallmouth rivers near me with many of the sections designated as "Flies only". My go to rod, and I've built several for others in the area is an 8 1/2' 6 wt. It's not the most common length/weight blank. I've built all the ones I've done on Batson blanks.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 05, 2016 10:30AM

they will both work for you, I think you are picking hairs as I see it, it is a personal decision as to what one you want,
5 , 6, or 7 wt will do the job just fine, my 2 CT's worth .

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2016 05:21PM

There are quite many 8'6" fiberglass fly rod blanks that are 6 or 7 weight range. I am in the process of building a vintage Sceptre rod that is 8'6" that has a progressive taper that can handle several line weights .

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 05, 2016 05:35PM

If you have a fishing store near you Go and try the fly rods
See which FEELS right to you Heavy and large bass flys you should be better with a 7 wt

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 05, 2016 05:54PM

Put me down for a 8.5 foot 6 weight. Todays 6 weights are yesterdays 7 and 8 weights and will get the job done.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2016 07:18PM

Tom

My vote goes to a 9' 7weight. My thinking for largemouth bass (don't know from smallies) in favor of a 7 weight is: easier to cast the big, heavy and wind resistant things bass love to eat;
easier to cast sinking lines when you've got to get down to where the fish are, and; easier to horse the bass out of the cover they love. Never engage a bass in a fair fight - you'll likely as not lose.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 05, 2016 07:23PM

Go to a fishing shop before you get more CONFUSED ?? LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 05, 2016 08:21PM

I like the shorter rods too - I'd go 8'0" to 8'6". Balance nice, shoot shorter to mid range casts well. Bass is usually about accuracy, not distance - actually I see most fly fishing that way.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2016 10:01PM

It really comes down to personal preference, all my Graphite bass rods are 9ft, my Fiberglass, 8ft 6in. I do find myself reaching for the glass more often nowadays, I just like that deeper load and more elegant loop you get with glass, and how they bend when a small mouth tanks a streamer.

Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: February 06, 2016 10:10AM

Thanks for all of the input.

I see the point of trying out a rod first, only thing is that my local fly shops have limited bass gear now - mainly trout and steelhead - until the spring.

I think I am going to try either an 8 or 8.5. Most of my rods have been 9 foot or longer so it would be a nice change.

One last question, for those who fly fish for bass, do you use the specific bass taper line?

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 06, 2016 06:08PM

I really like the Bass tapers - yes. I actually like them for other fishing too.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster