I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Red Blank
Posted by: Christopher Ritter (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 27, 2016 01:31PM

I am planning on making my 3 1/2 yr old son a rod this winter and he wants a red rod. I am thinking of a 5'6" or 6' light power for trout & panfish.

The only place I found a red blank in this size range was Rod Geeks which offers a 6' blank.

Does anyone know of any other vendor?

Thanks,

-Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red Blank
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2016 02:25PM

Chris,
Here is a red Spiderman rod with a matching reel for under $10.

[www.walmart.com]

For a 4 year old boy, I would think that this would be the perfect fishing rod.

There are other solid fiberglass short fishing rods on the market in many different variations - all of which work great for a child's first rod.

Simply put, you don't want to spend more for a child's rod, than you want to lose in the water when he/she gets tired of fishing and lets the rod slip overboard.

Be safe

p.s.
When a child gets to around 10 or so, then they will be able to use a better and or longer rod.

Posted by: Christopher Ritter (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 27, 2016 02:42PM

The Rod Geeks blank is more expensive than I wanted to spend but I'd rather him have a real rod instead of a toy. Also, I can't get better at building rods if I buy him a Spiderman rod and it's easier to justify the cost of building a rod to my wife if it is for my son. :-)

Right now he uses one of my 5'6" UL rods. I help him cast and he does the rest. He loves flipping through new Mudhole catalogs and already picked out his red reel seat and red camo grip.

I think the biggest danger in building him this rod now is that his favorite color might switch to blue or green in a year!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2016 02:42PM by Christopher Ritter.

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2016 04:43PM

Chris, I do agree with Roger that you don't want to spend much money on a child's rod that can be thrown over the gunwale of a boat or mistreated only the way a 4 year old can mistreat it. I will say that I built both of my young sons fishing rods when they were 4 years old, but i did it on the cheap. I picked up a couple of cheap fiberglass blanks from Jann's Netcraft and built them up with inexpensive reel seats and inexpensive guides. I built on 5 foot UL blanks for my boys. You can always paint the blank red with automotive paint (there are lots of threads on this subject). The setup is completely up to you, but I would recommend building it as a spinning rod and trying a triggerspin or underspin type reel. If you want durable look to the fiberglass and you could even build on an ice rod blank if you wanted a shorter build. Right now I am building both of my sons short, light line weight fly rods for panfish at their grandfather's farm pond. These are also fiberglass for durability. They enjoy yard casting dad's fly rods and the youngest one (now 4 1/2) actually has a beautiful form and takes instruction very well. Good luck and just make sure to take the time to fish with him as often as he wants and you are able...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2016 04:53PM by Jared Taylor.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2016 06:25PM

Chris, here is what I would suggest. MHX makes several panfish rods under $20 Brand new good blanks on which I have built many kids rods. If he wants it Red just paint it with Krylon Fusion plastic paint. If you want to clear coat it you will need to let the paint dry for at least a week before doing so. Use EVA grips real inexpensive and there you have it. No big investment and if he changes his mind on color repaint it. My children are in their forties and still have the same preference for color, for what that is worth...lol?

Also you can cut down the blank if you want shorter for now. I use a bait caster seat and a Zebco with only a few guides for the kids. And if you want to get fancy and practice your rod skills add a few inlays to the EVA with craft foam found at Jo Ann's for under a $1

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Tom

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2016 06:28PM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 27, 2016 06:34PM

OR
paint it with Dupli-color Auto Paint drys overnight then they have several clears on there web site
Just find a store that carries the paint
Wash the blank off with some alcohol and then hit it with a fine gray scoff pad Wipe it off with a paper towel - NO ALCOHOL - maybe water DAMP and then dry WELL hit it with a hair dryer to make sure it is DRY

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.76.---)
Date: January 27, 2016 06:47PM

I agree with Roger. I have a 5 year old and a 10 year old. I built my oldest a rod when she was 5 and she used it once. I built her another when she was 7. She used it a couple times. Now that she is ten I'm building her another rod because she is always using my rods. My $0.02 is if you have an old rod you don't use rebuild it for you child. Or find one at a yard sale. You can cut it down, repaint it, etc. Low cost solution and then you can spend the money on a new rod for yourself. Luckily my 5 year old is using the rods I built for the 10 year old. Good luck, MH

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2016 06:47PM

Tom, that looks great and I might have to steal your color scheme for my daughter when she's old enough to reel in a fish. And Chris, Tom is right on the Krylon, it's much cheaper than auto paint. As far as the blanks go, I have used both, the Jann's are a slow action (like a buggy whip) where the MHX panfish blanks are more moderate. So the rod speed would be up to you. Be sure to post pics when you get it built.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 27, 2016 08:40PM

Dupli Color Aersol cans -- INEXPENSIVE

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 27, 2016 08:47PM

Bill inexpensive is a relative term. What Jared said is based on Chris spending as little as possible. Duplicolor on Amazon for 8 oz is $11 not a bad price, Krylon for 12 oz is $4.63 and on a kids rod why not??

Tom

Posted by: Christopher Ritter (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 27, 2016 09:02PM

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 28, 2016 08:37AM

I've done 5 rods for my grand kids. I would suggest you skip the casting seat / push-button reel and go with a spinning setup and a trigger spin reel. Much easier to use and less chance of throwing the rod in the water. It's also an easy transition into a spinning reel.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

And let the kids help build! [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 28, 2016 10:23AM

Hello Chris.

Why not buy a pink CRB blank ($21.95) and sand it down and paint it red?

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.nianet.org)
Date: January 28, 2016 10:54AM

Get him exactly what he wants and let him help you with the build. If he helps with the build he will always love that rod as it will be his "first build". If he changes his favorite color later,then so be it, the rod will still have meaning as it was his "first build". At least that's what happened with my daughter. LOL

Date: January 28, 2016 11:02AM

Chuck Mills Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've done 5 rods for my grand kids. I would
> suggest you skip the casting seat / push-button
> reel and go with a spinning setup and a trigger
> spin reel. Much easier to use and less chance of
> throwing the rod in the water. It's also an easy
> transition into a spinning reel.
>
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> /photo/7003/title/mud-hole-pink-26-purple/cat/507
>
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> /photo/8260/title/granddaughter-27s-rod-in-action/
> cat/506
>
>
> And let the kids help build!
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> /photo/14820/title/never-too-young/cat/506

Looks really good Chuck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster