I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Skipping Rod
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2016 10:32AM

Looking for input on an upcoming build. Looking for some recommendations on a spinning Rod build for skipping weightless senko type lure or wacky rigged worms under docks... Seeking a blank around 6-6'8 at the most.. Want a blank that will give me the best load on a skip cast but also have power in the mid section to clear dock supports etc... Anybody have advice on specific blanks that fit this bill.

Some Blanks I Was considering:
Liberty SB632 or SB682
Baston Revelation REVS62M-SB
St Croix 2S66MF or 3S66MF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2016 10:44AM by Jay Burns.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Skipping Rod
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 25, 2016 10:53AM

I'm using a Batson ISB 782 OG that I built almost 10 years ago and I really like it. It is tough as nails and gets the job done. Nice tip speed and very good backbone. I've got Fuji Alconites on it and have been using 20# braid. I think any medium power spin bass blank would be about right. No need for an expensive, high modulus blank for this task.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 25, 2016 11:03AM

Try the MHX shooter series (CS72 series). I have made several and they work well for skipping baits. They are all 6' fast action and range from ML to XH (1-6). Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: January 25, 2016 11:20AM

Jay,
I typically only skip when I am on Lake of the Ozarks and for that I use a 3C56mf that I cut down to 5'4". Bob who is now at Mudhole turned me on to the idea of this blank a number of years ago. I would also take a hard look at St. Croix's skipping blank. I have used one and really liked it, I just don't do enough skipping to justify building another rod for that will sit in the rack most of the year. I used a TN handle and finished it out with 2mm micros... works wonderfully for what I want it to do. I got started skipping in the 80's with a 5'3" St. Croix Premier so henceforth my affinity for the shorter rod. If you like shorter Northfork Composites has some in the 5'4" range that should be great. I know that none of these are in the length range you are looking for but just something to consider if you are up close to your targets.

Tom

Date: January 25, 2016 11:41AM

Not married to any specific lengths, just wasn't sure how a rod under 6 foot would fish.. I can see the advantages of a shorter rod for skipping with an underhand cast, but how about the leverage... Guess I just never used a rod that short so I am unfamiliar with how it would handle.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2016 11:54AM

Jay,
the shorter rods will be more accurate, load quicker and handle fish better.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: January 25, 2016 12:04PM

Back in the late 60's and 70's most bass rods were from 5' - 6' with the 'normal' rod being 5'6". So many of us older guys cut our teeth on short rods. Caught many bass on these rods. I now prefer rods from 6'6" to 7'6" but still use 6' rods for skipping, creek fishing and close in fishing.
Norm

Date: January 25, 2016 12:42PM

Wealth of info here!! Any blank recommendations for a shorter rod? Should I then be looking at something MH with a fast action if 6' or less for skipping weightless worms etc..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2016 12:46PM by Jay Burns.

Date: January 25, 2016 02:02PM

I like the MHX cs722 for throwing weightless worms, it is a fast action M power rod. It is crisp and light feeling blank with a nice tip and plenty of back bone. A very very nice blank for this purpose, and it will not break the bank. Hard to beat for the money.
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.39.---)
Date: January 25, 2016 02:44PM

Shorter rods have more leverage, less distance between your hands and the rod tip. it's the reason saltwater stand up fishing rods are short. Longer rods pick up slack faster, but you feel more load on you for the same exertion from the fish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2016 11:53AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Miles Miller (172.56.12.---)
Date: January 25, 2016 02:55PM

The first rod I built was a 6'MH cabela's fish eagle II. They use to sell them as kits. I rebuilt it last winter and put a 16mm seat on it, and I wish I did a 17mm. So it wasn't brought up but I would suggest doing a 17mm seat.

6' or even 5'6" would be my choice, just like others have mentioned. If you are using braid with a leader then you could go with a medium action. My rod is a "MH", but is more like a medium action compared to a lot of today's blanks.

And like it's been mentioned, no need to spend a lot on a blank. If I were to make one, I would probably be looking at something like Mudhole's CRB series.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: January 25, 2016 06:44PM

Jay, you will have no problem with the shorter rods handling fish. I have caught Northern Pike up to 14lbs on the previously mentioned 5'3" St. Croix and that was with 8lb old school Stren and Trilene.

Tom

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2016 08:23AM

I think Nornan Miller makes a good suggestion with the MHX Shooter series of blanks. I purchased an MHX CS723 blank for a jerkbait rod I wanted to build. I ended up exchanging it for a different blank because it had more backbone than I was looking for in a jerkbait rod, but I thought it would make an excellent rod for skipping baits.

It's a light blank with a nice fast tip and plenty of backbone. I'm thinking it would fit the bill quite nicely.

And I'm with everyone else that gives praise to a shorter rod for skipping baits, or even just shooting baits under low hanging cover. And as Thomas mentioned, handling fish on a shorter rod isn't really a problem. My primary spinnerbait rod is a 5'6" medium heavy power, pistol grip rod, and I've caught many a 5 lb plus largemouth with it.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2016 10:48AM

St. Croix 60MF

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster