I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

uplocking vs. downlocking fly seats
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 25, 2016 08:04AM

I still like downlocking fly seats on rods 6 wt. and under. Any idea why uplocking have taken off so much? With downlocking there is less line getting looped over the butt end of the rod, and they balance nice.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: uplocking vs. downlocking fly seats
Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: January 25, 2016 08:51AM

My take on this is that in the past rod blanks were heavier and the reel was placed as far back as possible to balance the rod. With modern, very light graphite blanks, rods balance better with an uplocking reel seat, which puts the reel closer to the center of balance, I. e. the grip.

Posted by: Don Lukehart (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2016 10:27AM

Bob's answer will probably sound better than mine but I always thought it was to protect the reel from getting banged around. Especially when standing a rod up.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 25, 2016 11:28AM

Typically most lighter line weight rods, and in shorter lengths, have been fitted with shorter grips (6 to 6.5 inches) and thus having the reel sit a little further back gave the angler's hand a bit more room. The heavier line weight rods which are generally made in longer lengths, have most often been fitted with longer grips (7 to 7.5 inches) and thus the reel could be moved forward a bit which allowed for the things mentioned by the previous posters.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: January 25, 2016 12:20PM

Good Morning Marc,
Like you I prefer downlocking reel seats. A few weeks ago a couple of our sponsors were putting downlocking reel seats on a closeout sale. I bought several for some rods I am building. I am not convinced that the downlocking reel seat leads to an unbalanced rod.

Since the article on wood grips appeared in Rodmaker magazine several years ago, I have been putting wood grips on my fly rods. I use maple burl, walnut, zebra wood, and spalted Tamarind. If the wood is too dense, I bore out the grip and fit a foam arbor. I haven't had any problems with my fly rods being returned for being un-balanced. I would think that a wood grip would affect the balance more than the reel seat.

You might try Angler's Roost,one of our sponsors on the left. Earlier last summer I bought a downlocking reel seat from them. They have them in two sizes. The reel seats are already assembled and you might need to bore them out. I bought the larger diameter one and needed to bore out the wood insert and then use a foam arbor tapered to fit the rod blank. You might also check with Schneider's Rod shop. They were selling some on a closeout a few weeks ago. Good luck.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 25, 2016 02:11PM

In my experience, the downlocking puts the reel in the dirt when people stand their rods up for what ever reason while fishing. Dirt or grit in a fly reel (or any reel) is a no-no!

I build nothing but fly rods and have only one customer over many years who wanted a downlocking.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 25, 2016 03:27PM

I have noticed as small bit of a trend on people wishing to go to the downlock style. Seems to be more towards the fiberglass builds.

Ron Weber

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster