I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

writing on a fishing rod
Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 21, 2016 09:48PM

I have finished 2rods and have tried to write on them with not very good results. I used extra fine oil based paint pencils and I have used white out correction fluid. Iwas sure extra fine paint would work but the paint spreads just enough to fill in spaces that should be clear of paint
. White out evaporates too fast..Some have used testors paint with a metal nib so far no satisfaction there either. Do companies like sharpie make an ultra fine paint pencil. Suggestions anyone

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: writing on a fishing rod
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 22, 2016 12:34AM

good luck , I gave up an use label's from the dealers on the left , if you want to do it. try try an try again no easy answer

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2016 07:32AM

Robert,
I have tried a lot of things for writing over the last few years. For a few years, I was using Testors paint with a nib and quill and that worked all right. However, most of the paint dried so quickly that it was tough to keep the nib flowing freely.

For the last couple of years, I have been using the Speed Ball nib and pen and the Speed Ball acrylic ink. That is working very very well. Just make sure that the ink is well stirred before starting and try to avoid putting a lot of bubbles in the ink from mixing or shaking. Again, it is important to clean the nib frequently, to insure that you do not have dried ink in the nib, or the nib will stop flowing. With acrylic ink, water works just fine as a thinner. But for cleaning the nib, I use Xylene and that works very well for cleaning the nib.

[www.dickblick.com]

The 512 nib seems to work well for most lettering work.

You can find the individual bottles of ink available if you search. I have found that the acrylic ink works very well for my needs.
[www.dickblick.com]

I have gotten rid of all of the other ink and paint that I used to use and only use the acrylic ink, but it gives really good results; as long as you keep the nib clean.

My lettering is terrible, but fortunately my wife is an artist and does a great job with the lettering.

Posted by: Jared Taylor (107.77.85.---)
Date: January 22, 2016 07:36AM

Robert, I have noticed that there is a huge difference in the colors of Testors model paint and how well they "flow" when using a metal nib and a calligraphy type pen. White is especially difficult as are most of the other "regular" colors (like gloss blue, red and yellow) in enamel and acrylic. I've found that the enamel in silver flows the best. Gold also works well with frequent stirring, wiping off the nib and re-dipping with fresh paint after just a couple of letters. I've tried using a few different paint pens, but find that the point isn't quite fine enough and doesn't leave a very crisp lettering.

Posted by: Robert Desrosier (64.229.158.---)
Date: January 23, 2016 09:17AM

regular liquid lighter fluid and a paper towel will take testors paint off your blank or nib. there is very little smell and it gives you the chance to work at it till you get what you want

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 23, 2016 06:56PM

I have had success with the Pilot Markers....I think they are also called paint pens

Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 24, 2016 08:59AM

More good ideas. I'll give them a go thanks again.

Posted by: Michael Maclean (198.91.15.---)
Date: January 25, 2016 11:36AM

I have to second Jared about the differences in the testor paints. I've tried a blue color that I couldn't write with at all, but with the silver color it seems to write a lot easier and that's what I use with all my rods now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2016 11:37AM by Michael Maclean.

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2016 11:37PM

sharpie does make an ultra fine marker pen. Ive used this with success, though I'm looking for something even finer...

[www.sharpie.com]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 28, 2016 11:47AM

Check out Janns I have used there pen and ink I would think it would be as fine as one could get Ink worked well Let dry I heat several times with a hair dryer then spray with Fixative Dust coats two should be enough

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 30, 2016 10:36PM

I have good success with Dr. Ph. Martin's calligraphy ink. I use the copper gold guild. You can get any line size you want depending on the nib used. I use an extra fine to fine nib most of the time. Dries quickly, is permanent and can epoxy over it within a hour or so without any smearing. Can be found in most hobby shops like Micheals along with the nibs.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster