I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

LS Supreme
Posted by: Petey (---.dial.telus.net)
Date: November 12, 2001 10:33AM

Hi,
I have never used LS supreme and was wanting to know if you apply it with a brush or a spatula? and on a fly rod should I apply one coat or two light coats? Thanks for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LS Supreme
Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: November 12, 2001 10:53AM

Either brush or spatula are fine. I prefer spatula after trying it. Actually I use a 3/8" brush that I loaded with finish, cleared excess and let dry.(making a hard "spatula" like end) I used a brush for six years, then switched to this a couple of months ago and love it. LS supreme can be applied a few different ways. What I have found to work for me (recommended off this site too) is apply a liberal first coat down the entire rod, then come back with a brush or spatula and remove all the excess. This fully saturates the wraps lays a good foundation. When I say remove, I mean remove to the point threads are protruding through the finish (almost say remove it all). Let this setup for the night, then come back and apply a second coat, making it a thick or thin as you like. This should work for all your wraps and be all the coats you need. But, for butt wraps, especially with inlays, I have found it requires 3-4 coats to completely cover. I believe two light coats will get you what you want. I would think it would be very difficult to do it in one application. I am certainly not an authority, and am sure other responses will follow, but this is my experience.
Elrod

Posted by: Bob Petti (---.co.us.ibm.com)
Date: November 12, 2001 12:52PM

The more I work with LS Supreme, the more confident I am getting good coverage with a single coat. The last fly rod I did I finished completely with a single coat - which included a three inch inscription section just above the winding check.

The first hour of turning is the most critical, obviously. I keep an eye out for bubbles and dry spots, and add/remove finish as needed to ensure good coverage. At the 45min-hour point, you're getting to the time where any changes to the finish will not level perfectly.

The most typical "fix" I had to make was to add a thin line of finish right on top of the guide foot, as the threads would also be showing in this spot. I also will sometimes run a bead of finish along the thread edge (where it meets the blank).

If I absolutely need to be able to apply the finish and walk away, I plan on two coats. One thin just to fill the tunnel and soak the threads, and the next to create the wrap shape I want.

Bob

Posted by: Bob Petti (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2001 07:22PM

Oh - in response to your other question. I initially load the thread wraps with a brush. When I go back and touch up the wraps, popping bubbles here or adding a drop of finish there, I use my fly tying bodkin.

If I do two coats, I do both with a brush.

Bob

Posted by: GREG (---.dialup5.community-web.net)
Date: November 13, 2001 09:02PM

I use LS Supreme and apply with a small artisit brush, as it allow s me to get in tight places such as under guide frames. I also apply one coat at a time with the 1st one being a really thin one. Hope this info. helps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster