I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Extending a flipping stick
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 13, 2016 09:06PM

I want to extend a 7.6 Teloscopic flipping stick to a 7.10 and maybe even 8.ft so would extending it though the butt end by about 4 inch's hurt any,as this is not a normal thing to do to a flipping stick but I need more room.

Glenn McMurrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Extending a flipping stick
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2016 10:59PM

Never heard of it being done. I'd plug the butt of the blank so the blank won't fall any further when collapsed, otherwise I think you'd have to put the first guide even further up the blank than normal.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 14, 2016 07:22AM

Spencer is thinking ahead, and right on. If it's a new build it looks like American Tackle has a 7'8" and 7'10" telescopic flippin' blank.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 14, 2016 02:21PM

That's great Marc that my work even faster better but Just a little more input from you guys. What I was wanting to do is extend a 7.6 flipping stick to a 7.11 as I need the extra length for flipping but I need a collapsible rod for storage. I was thinking about how one would go about extending a basic rod. So anyways Mark what would you say to this, I can extend the rod like always only the extended tube part about 4 inches of tubbing would be slipped over the outside of the rod still letting the basic part of the rod collapse into the rod making more space for storage on the boat. By putting the extension over the out side of the rod you could still put a handle on it but that would still leave the space between front fore grip and the trelescope part of the rod. The extra left over telescopic tubing can be fixed just by using a 3 inch fore grip over a 2 inch fore grip and a hook keeper in front of that and maybe a weave in front of that leaving a working rod but still letting the rod collapse for storage so what

Glenn McMurrian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2016 05:34PM by Glenn McMurrian.

Posted by: John Shear (198.135.124.---)
Date: January 14, 2016 02:42PM

I had a guy that wanted me to use a 6'8" blank, but make a 7' rod out of it. I'm just a hobbyist and haven't extended a rod before, so I took the easy way out. I called a fella in MN (not a sponsor, but I believe shows at ICRBE) who makes wood handles. He makes an 8" wood handle that he drills out 4". So I install the reel seat 4" from the butt end and install the wood handle and thus I have a 6'8" blank extended to make a 7' rod. :)

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: January 14, 2016 06:07PM

Glenn take a look the library and you will find an article on extending a blank. You might be able to use an old rod for the extension, or check out mudhole, they have tubes that are designed to build their handles on or you can do as I did and order a tube. I got mine from CTS.

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster