I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Good Dust Collector for Turning
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 13, 2016 06:44AM

Anyone recommend a good dust collector for turning and reaming cork? Something a good step up from a shop vac.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good Dust Collector for Turning
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2016 07:51AM

You'd probably have to look at a combination set up. Most "dust" collectors are really debris collectors and pick up chips, chunks and heavier shavings. If you then back that up with an overhead air cleaner you'll do pretty well.

Another highly effective air cleaner is a simple box fan covered with a fine furnace filter and placed at the headstock end of the lathe. It's cheap and works reasonably well.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: January 13, 2016 07:52AM

I just picked up one of these over the holidays and I've done 3 grips with it and no dust to speak up. I hooked it up to a Dust deputy which runs off my shop vac. I've tried others with no results. this one works well.
[www.rockler.com]

Posted by: John Britt (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 13, 2016 08:03AM

Tom has that right the so called dust collectors are good for getting the larger particles produced until you get into the super high end systems. I use a harbor freight dust collector with a 5 micron bag for general duty and run a JET 708620B AFS-1000B listed as an air filtration system for the finer material. You should leave this run a couple of hours after you are finished sanding, it does make a considerable difference.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)

Comments deleted

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 05:07PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: John Britt (---.res.bhn.net)

Tom has that right the so called dust collectors are good for getting the larger particles produced until you get into the super high end systems. I use a harbor freight dust collector with a 5 micron bag for general duty and run a JET 708620B AFS-1000B listed as an air filtration system for the finer material. You should leave this run a couple of hours after you are finished sanding, it does make a considerable difference.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 13, 2016 09:50AM

That rockler system looks like the ideal dust collection devise. MH

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 13, 2016 10:34AM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 05:06PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: January 13, 2016 11:41AM

I mounted mine so that the curve was almost at the bottom of the grip and then sanded from the top. the dust dropped into the vac attachment and got sucked away. almost like the way it's set up in one of the pictures in the catalog.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2016 04:17PM

Marc,
In a couple of responses, it was reported, that one needs really good suction and moving air velocity to keep the dust in the vacuum system rather than in the air or on the floor.

Although I do my "dirty work" turning, cutting and sanding in a separate building, I still like to minimize the amount of "junk" that is flying around the shop.

I have tried using a square cup behind and under the piece being turned, but the suction is not enough to get all of the dust and debris into the vacuum.

I did a lot of testing with various vacuum attachments and found that a longer floor brush that has a very narrow collection slit in the brush really increases the per area suction, and accelerates the moving dust and debris toward the vacuum pick up.

For example: [www.menards.com]

If you are working on a small piece a skinny nozzle like this one gives you very high air velocity:

[www.centralvacuumstores.com]

To hold the nozzle in its correct position, I just create an L shaped stand from 2x stock. I use a hole saw of the correct size so that the hose side of the nozzle is a slip fit into the hole.

I make the height of the L support at the correct height so that the top of the nozzle slot is just below the midpoint of the spinning work piece.

Now, you have a very high velocity air flow into the hose nozzle, bringing dust and junk into the vacuum hose.

In addition to that, I use a pair of box fans.

Depending on your setup, you can have the air move across the lathe right to left or lest to right.

On one size I will have one box fan blowing air across the lathe. On the opposite side of the lathe, I will have a box fan with a 20x20 filter taped to the side of the box fan. This box fan will be @#$%& air through the filter.

Now, you have a very strong air flow from the work piece into the vacuum. You will also have air movement blowing across the work piece to pick up any residual dust left in the air.

This combination of fans and shop vacuum nozzles will cost about $50, but does a very good job of keeping an area free of dust and debris.

Good luck

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 13, 2016 07:58PM

Thanks! Now I'd like to drop about $500 at Rockler - need to sell a few more rods now.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 13, 2016 08:53PM

Are you sure you can not do that dirty work out side
Will you make money at building rods
Will you keep doing it for a long time
$500.00 is a lot to think about --- a little REALITY

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2016 12:21AM

The dust collectors from Harbor freight are quite reasonable.

If the collector does not expect to get a lot of use, it is likely that the Harbor freight dust collector will last a long time.

[www.harborfreight.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster