I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning guide train - making 3 sizes work
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 08, 2016 07:31AM

Does anyone have a spinning guide layout that uses the butt guide, single transition guide, and then fly running guides, that they like for med-lite or medium spinning rods? I have dialed it in for smaller reels in the ultra-lite to lite powers, but not there on the next power up rods.

My lite set up looks like this: size 16 M style, size 10 SV style, size 6 fly's. The 16 ring is just a little small for the 8# mono to me.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning guide train - making 3 sizes work
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 08, 2016 07:36AM

Just use the Microwave guide sets, pretty much what you have described

Ron Weber

Date: January 08, 2016 08:40AM

Tried them - they are OK, but not what I was looking for.

Thanks - Marc

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 08, 2016 09:11AM

Go down 14 posts and looked at 'M style spinning guide layouts'. This should help.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2016 03:58PM

Marc,

What size reel do you have in mind for this rod?

If the height of the 16M is fine, try a 20 Y frame, followed by a 10 Y frame and then your running guides.

Otherwise, try a 20M or 25Y and a 12Y or 12 SV and then your running guides. Note, it's tough to get the single reduction guide to work with these sizes without bringing the choker/first running guide back to somewhere in the neighborhood of 40"-42" give or take a bit, which is usually a little inside of what the 27x technique calls for.

Joe

Date: January 08, 2016 09:50PM

Joe,

Using a size 30 Pfleuger. Tried the 20 Y frame and it's just a little off, tried the 20 M today and it just whistled! Used two transition guides though - 12 SV and 08 SV, then size 6 fly's. Guess I'll just stick with the two transition guides. It's not that much more weight.

The 20 Y was promising when measured, but the 20 M just really did the trick, and seems nice with both braid and mono.

Thanks!

Thanks - Marc

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 09, 2016 07:04PM

Glad it worked out, and I'm glad I could help.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 09, 2016 07:55PM

Test cast the rod and maybe go up or down with the guide sizes to get the best performance

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (172.79.54.---)
Date: January 16, 2016 08:07AM

I've done it with KLH and Alps Y guides, works fine. Just keep the same basic layout requirements satisfied as you would for 4 size layouts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster