I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing guides with a soldering iron
Posted by: Brittan Battles (---.eohio.net)
Date: January 04, 2016 04:43PM

Has anyone ever tried heating just the top of the guide foot with a soldering iron to get the epoxy warm enough to cut easily with a razor blade? I feel like I can't control the heat well with an open flame or a heat gun, but I could really apply hear accuratly with a soldering iron.

Thanks in advance!

Brittan Battles
Battle Fin Custom Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing guides with a soldering iron
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 04, 2016 08:03PM

If you get the foot too hot, you will probably damage the blank. A heat gun or hair dyer is the best way!

If you try to heat the foot with the iron, mostly likely you will melt the epoxy on to the iron first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2016 08:04PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 04, 2016 08:09PM

You can easily cut the epoxy and thread without a razor blade. Shave it off on top of the foot. That's all there is to it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2016 08:24PM

Brittan,
I just use heat on the top side of the guide initially. That will soften the epoxy enough on the top of the guide foot to shear off the epoxy. Then, I will warm the rest of the epoxy with the heat gun to be able to unwrap the thread and epoxy.

Be safe

Date: January 04, 2016 09:14PM

There will be an article in the next issue of RodMaker detailing how to remove a guide. You don't need heat. It's easier than that.

Date: January 04, 2016 09:14PM

There will be an article in the next issue of RodMaker detailing how to remove a guide. You don't need heat. It's easier than that.

Posted by: Brittan Battles (---.sssnet.com)
Date: January 05, 2016 11:04AM

The heat gun method works 99% of the time for me, having said that, I have ruined one blank with heat. I wasn't doing anything differently than I had when removing guides in the past and i never had a problem. I just feel like a heat gun doesn't allow you to control heat well enough to be precise with where the heat is directly applied. I am interested in other methods of removing guides without using heat. I'm doing a bunch of rebuilds in the near future and after ruining a blank, I have lost confidence in the heat gun method.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: January 05, 2016 01:53PM

I would use a hair dryer and place by hand on the backside of the guide while the rod is turning. By this I mean the rod is in my rod lathe turning and is between the hair dryer and my hand. That way I can monitor the heat while applying. The hair dryer will not get as hot as a heat gun.

Date: January 05, 2016 02:31PM

I've removed thousands of rod guides. Never used heat. I must be missing something. It's just so easy to do.

Posted by: Gary Weber (---.241.113.253.4wbi.net)
Date: January 05, 2016 04:35PM

The razor blade method, as Tom stated, works well for me. But I do not do very many rods like this.

Posted by: Michael Danek (172.79.54.---)
Date: January 05, 2016 07:35PM

Never use heat. Never use heat. double post in one :-)

Posted by: Brittan Battles (---.eohio.net)
Date: January 05, 2016 09:25PM

Thanks for all of the replies!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 06, 2016 09:00AM

I heat the finish it softens it and makes it easier to peal off

Just warm it Dont heat it till it is hot not good

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: January 06, 2016 02:43PM

Tom, Michael, and Gary get my vote on this one! Soldering iron sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2016 02:44PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 06, 2016 03:06PM

warm is good hot is not so good, if you use heat, never so hot you can;t hold it, but a sharp knife will do a lot for you , if you use an iron
just the top of the foot / guide to warm not "" MELT "" then a sharp knife it will work for you , remember every one says warm not melt
or no heat at all , it is a go slow , to finish up use a tung depressor or pop cycle stick to pop the small stuff off

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2016 05:52PM

I take a 90 degree air sander with a 1 inch disc and sand down over the guide feet or a file to remove the finish and thread pop off the guide ,peel the thread and finish off then find the end of the thread and pull it out from under the remaining finish. I have stripped some rod ( penn ) were the finish wouldn't crack off and a little heat was needed to soften so it would peel off.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 06, 2016 05:58PM

YES
heat was used to soften the finish so it would come off
And using the heat most likely gave a cleaner blank where the thread was ???

I would be afraid to use a sander on a guide foot -- your better then I

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 08, 2016 02:56PM

Bill it all depends on the size of the sander , this is a 1 inch unit , very small as I see it , in fact I have never have seen one that small

William Sidney
AK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster