I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Titanium Minima's - WOW - anyone fished them?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 03, 2016 04:19PM

Anyone using the Titanium Minima's? Worked on a spinning rod with the ZV style a little - they are one of the lightest guides I have ever used.

Has anyone fished them much, and has anyone used the titanium Minima tops as well?

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Titanium Minima's - WOW - anyone fished them?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2016 05:08PM

Yes I have, also the match guides. The ZV guides are similar in frame size to the popular Fuji "Y" guides. Don't think Pac Bay makes a titanium tip top yet, at least I've never been able to find one yet. Pac Bay makes a good guide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2016 05:11PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 03, 2016 08:09PM

Great guides. I use on saltwater rods and I have no complaints. If you do a topic search you will find many posts about these guides. MH

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 03, 2016 09:10PM

Was looking at the 2016 PAC Bay catalog and they will be offering minima 4 guides with a solid titanium frame in a Ti-black color in a number of different frame styles. The minima4 frame models include ZV, SV, M, F, T, & N. Have not yet seen them for sale anywhere. Still no solid titanium minima tip tops. Looking forward to trying these when they become available. Maybe we will see them at the expo.

Date: January 03, 2016 09:46PM

They have titanium Minima tips in the 2016 catalog. Really impressed with the ZV guides I have in the shop so far. Trying the ZV style in size 20-10-6 for a really light set up right now. The ZV 20 ring is higher than the SV 25.

From what I see the only guides that can come close in weight are Recoils - have you guys seen anything else this light?

Thanks - Marc

Date: January 03, 2016 10:09PM

Did not see solid titanium minima tip tops in the catalog. They have the Ti-black tip tops but they do not have a solid titanium frame. If you like the ZV try the match guides (M) they are even higher and are just as light if not lighter.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2016 10:30PM

I think Fuji is the only company making titanium tip tops.

Date: January 04, 2016 08:01AM

Just got a new 2016 catalog - I think the Titanium tips are in there - I'll check when I get in to work today.

Thanks - Marc

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 04, 2016 08:41AM

Fuji's "titanium" tip tops are NOT 100% titanium. The flat metal part is (part that holds the ring and legs), the tube is some type of steel - take a magnet and see for yourself. Minimal weight saving with that small amount of Ti material - the ceramic rings kills any weight savings verse a Mimima guide. It's the tube that always gets corrosion and still will.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 04, 2016 09:45AM

Solid titanium (alloy) guides were marketed by REC back in the 90's. It takes a long time to change tradition/inertia in the fishing world. My bet is cork grips will no longer be standard in the next decade or two.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 04, 2016 09:53AM

You can always wrap on a single foot guide for use as a tiptop.

Posted by: Rick Hall (---.msl-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 04, 2016 09:59AM

SeaGuide also makes Titanium tops at a reasonable price. Typically the ceramics are heavy, except for our new RS rings which are ultra light. Specific gravity (weight by volume) of stainless rings is 7.9, Zirconium is 5.8, and our new RS rings are only 3.3.

Check out our web site to find out more.

Rick Hall
Global Sales Manager
SeaGuide Corporation
406-750-2122
www.sea-guide.com

Posted by: Marc A. Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 04, 2016 10:58AM

In the 2016 catalog on pg. 23 they show a TiBlack tip top - looks like titanium frame with black finish according to the p.n. - KP4KT06-04.0 - or other tube size.

Date: January 04, 2016 11:22AM

TheTi-black tip tops are stainless with a Ti-black PVD coating; they match the titanium Ti-black guides but are not titanium. It appears that no company makes a true titanium tip top. Some may have titanium frames (Fuji &SeaGuide) but the tube is always stainless. As Tom mentons above, if you want a titanium tip top you can always wrap on a running guide at the tip. I have done this before in a pinch as a temporary fix when I did not have the right size tip top. It worked very well; do not know about the longevity of doing this. However, there are some builders that routinely use a running guide as a tip top to save weight and to match ring size.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 05, 2016 08:48AM

I have some REC NiTi alloy tip-tops I have not used because they are ugly. I have considered pulling off their aluminum sleeves and wrapping the wire loop as a tip top but hesitate to do so for fear the wire will exert uneven pressure on the tip of the blank or might even move due to leverage and pressure, resulting in damage to the tip of the blank. Have you any advice?

Date: January 05, 2016 12:23PM

Phil - never tried that with a rec tip top but do not see why it would not work. Could also use one of rec single ft guides as a tip top. If you have an old fly rod remove the tip top and wrap on the rec tip top minus the tube or a single ft guide and see how it works. Might be pleasantly surprised, if not you can easily cut it off and put the other tip back on the rod. I remember the old Aetna Foul proof guides they only came with a wrap on tip top; never had to think about tube size and they worked well.

Posted by: Michael Shea (---.static.tpgi.com.au)
Date: January 05, 2016 07:04PM

Anyone know where and when the new 2016 Pac Bay Minima guides will be released? Specifically I'm after the Titanium BlackTi Model F guides and the Model MFT Fly tiptops.

Date: January 05, 2016 08:33PM

I received my new 2016 Mudhole catalog yesterday and all the new minima 4 guides were listed. However, they were not present in their on-line site. I assume they will be out very shortly. I am sure if you call mudhole they will tell you exactly when they will be available.

Posted by: Roger Pascual (---.statefarm.com)
Date: January 06, 2016 05:00PM

I emailed Carol at Utmostenterprises.com she spent the weekend updating the site all 2016 guides are listed on the site.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster