I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral wrap
Posted by: Chris McLemore (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2016 05:38PM

I am a novice builder and have been wanting to spiral wrap the guides. I was just wondering for what application(s) should spiral wrapping guides be used for OR not used for? Any advice on the subject would be appreciated. Also which is the best way to do a spiral wrap? I know of a couple different ways to do it but everyone has their own way and would like to hear everyone's opinion. Oh, and I am a Bass fisherman so any applications would be for a Bass Fishing rod.
Thank you in advance
God bless and Happy New Year

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral wrap
Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2016 06:07PM

Spiral wraps are only used on casting rods.
The simple spiral wrap, with guides at 180, 90, 0 degrees works fine on bass weight rods.
Right handed crankers place their guides at or 12, 3, and 6 o'clock, while left-handed crankers switch the bumper guide, at 3 o'clock, to the 9 o'clock position, so that it will face upward when you lay the rod down.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2016 07:00PM

I too am a bass fisherman. And build/use only spiral wraps. Personally do not know a bait casting rod application that would warrant not using a spiral wrap.
I use The Vibronics spiral wrap set up exclusively.
If you would like the recipe? email and I send it to you.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 01, 2016 11:19PM

I use for saltwater water casting and bottom fishing rods. I prefer the 0 - 60 - 120 - 180 degree set up. I turn to guides towards the handle side of reel so the rod rests on the handle and not on the guides when laying on deck. Good luck, mh

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.albq.qwest.net)
Date: January 02, 2016 08:49AM

Trolling rods are also a good application and I use a simple spiral. For bass rods I use Steve Gardner's method I got from him. Works great

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.albq.qwest.net)
Date: January 02, 2016 08:49AM

Trolling rods are also a good application and I use a simple spiral. For bass rods I use Steve Gardner's method I got from him. Works great

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 02, 2016 09:35AM

Chris, I've been building spiral exclusively since I did it for the first time about 4 years ago. It just makes sense to me to build the spiral. I've tried different "methods" but here is what I do. I cast left handed and crank with my right. Looking butt to tip the guides spiral clockwise, in other words to the crank side as Gary mentioned above. I don't really subscribe to a particular formula but instead lay out all the guides on top and then do a static test. During the test, with the rod under load, I rotate the second and third guides around the rod looking for a smooth line transition and clearance from the rod. This generally ends up in something close to a 0-60-120-180 configuration but I don't worry about the exact measurements. I also build mainly bass rods and a few inshore rods. I find the spiral works well for all techniques.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Posted by: Michael Danek (172.79.54.---)
Date: January 02, 2016 05:31PM

Note that with simple spiral the bumper guide is loaded directly into the foot of the guide, not at an angle which produces torsion on the guide. So all guides are loaded optimally, the first into the foot and the others away from the foot. Little or no torsion. Better for heavy duty applications, IMHO. Normal bass applications are not overloaded in torsion with any setup.

Date: January 02, 2016 09:40PM

Thank you everyone.

Posted by: Frank McKinney (---.sub-70-196-10.myvzw.com)
Date: January 03, 2016 10:00PM

Could someone please explain what the Vibronics spiral wrap set up is. I am wanting to build a spiral wrapped rod and want to see what this set up is.

Thanks,
Frank McKinney
Flint Texas

Date: January 04, 2016 01:49AM

Talk to Steve Gardner. See above.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: January 04, 2016 09:56AM

About the only time I hear people finding a regular build more desirable to them over a spiral build (besides just personal preference) are some applications where the rod is fished with the tip in a sharp downwards angle fished, for example, from the deck of a bass with the rod tip near the surface of the water. With the rod tip pointed down sharply, the guides of a conventional built rod already place the line on the inside of the curve. If you spiral the guides on this style rod, then your actually creating the same scenario of a traditional build fished rod tip up where the line paths on the outside of the rod curve.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster