I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Chrome Minimas on Higher End Rods?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 08, 2015 07:51AM

The chrome M4 Minima's are my go to guide - they just flat out work, are light and tough, and reasonable cost. I had someone mention they looked less expensive, and possibly out of place on a $200 plus rod, and they preferred the black M4 Minima's.

I know the chrome M4's are popular - any of you guys using them on $200 to $300 spinning rods - and get any feedback?

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chrome Minimas on Higher End Rods?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 08, 2015 07:54AM

I would have no qualms whatsoever about using them if they do the job to the extent that's expected, and hold up over the long haul. Color is subjective and what one customer likes another may not.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.76.---)
Date: November 08, 2015 08:25AM

Go with it. They work great. My customers think they look more expensive then they really are. I use black more than chrome but that's my preference. Good luck, MH

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2015 08:46AM

Marc,
I have to agree with your comment.
i.e. I use the black Tich guides on the upper end rods.

Be safe

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 08, 2015 08:47AM

Marc

To answer your question. The chrome minima 4's are good quality guides for any level of rod. If you are building a rod to a customer specification the customer should decide on color.

If the customer is not sure what he wants, then as a rod builder you should go through the ritual of explaining the aspects of the different type of guides. Having a few examples on hand would help in the decision making.

John

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2015 10:38AM

If the customer's not sure, there is always the titanium framed versions to lose some weight and add some perceived bling without being rediculously so.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 08, 2015 05:44PM

Personally I like the chrome Minima's on just about anything. Thanks for the input guys!

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Joe Johnson (76.8.209.---)
Date: November 08, 2015 06:47PM

The Minimas are some of the best guides made, i've put them on every high end rod I've made. Both spinning and casting and they flat out get the job done. In fact I put the highest end guides available on the GLX from another company and ended up rewrapping it and putting the Minimas on because the others failed.

GREAT GUIDES.

I use the Tich framed Minimas 4s quite a bit, but only for the dark look. Performance wise, I don't see a difference.

I'm interested to see how these new AIRWAVE guides hold up. I've got a few sets coming and I'm going to build with them to see the difference.

We'll see...

Joe

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: November 09, 2015 12:53AM

I use Minima 4 on a lot of personal rods and for high end customer's rods too.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2015 09:32AM

As others have said, I use a lot of Minima 4 guides.

But, for some rods, I prefer to use the Tich guides for a given rod. Yes, they are more expensive than the chrome guides, but for some rods the black guides look better.

Be safe

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 11, 2015 03:15PM

There are new colors coming too....TiBronze.....TiBlack

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 11, 2015 04:17PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As others have said, I use a lot of Minima 4
> guides.
>
> But, for some rods, I prefer to use the Tich
> guides for a given rod. Yes, they are more
> expensive than the chrome guides, but for some
> rods the black guides look better.
>
> Be safe

Roger as I am sure you know that Minima is offered in a black frame with either gold or chrome inserts. I have used a bunch of them and they really look sharp.

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster