I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stuck Ferrule--Varmac RS 5
Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2015 11:29PM

Hello,

I just received a 130lb big game rod (bent butt) due for a re-wrap.

Need to chuck the blank in the lathe for sanding, but the Varmac RS 5 reel seat ferrule is stuck fast.

I've tried letting it soak in WD-40 rust release penetrant to no avail.

Thinking about trying heat next, but thought I'd post here first.

Has anyone encountered this before and if so what are some things you'd suggest I try?

Thanks in advance.

-chad

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stuck Ferrule--Varmac RS 5
Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: November 05, 2015 06:17AM

Packing the ferrule area with crushed ice shrinks the materials and allows the parts to release with graphite sections after 10 to 20 minutes. It is worth a try.

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.mycingular.net)
Date: November 05, 2015 07:17AM

Thanks for the info Russ.

The ferrule I am working with looks to be chrome-plated brass and serves as connection between the blank and reel seat/butt assembly.

I was told the blank section of this rod is able to be detached from the butt via that ferrule and locking ring.

Here is a photo of a similarly ferruled RS 5-H:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2015 07:21AM by Chad Barlongo.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 05, 2015 11:17AM

Russ may be on to something there but I have never tried it, on the other hand, WD-40 wont break any rusted or corroaded metal free. The best used for that is Kroil. It comes in an orange and black printed can of eather a spray or a squeeze spouted can. The stuff is the best I've ever used but it's not cheap. Whenever I have a stuck or corroaded reelseat, that's the stuff I use. KROIL.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2015 12:52PM

With the plated brass, it sounds like salt water corrosion. You might try taking a leather or wood mallet and tap all around the seat, much like you would with a stuck jar lid. Be careful if you use heat, the blank may come out of the ferrule leaving the ferrule still stuck.

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2015 06:42PM

chad I too use kroil also on chrome reel seat and ferrule I use vinegar to clean the green corrosion off .

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 07, 2015 04:55PM

the auto Transmission oil is also a good oil to break it free , I have been told COKE [soda drink ] will work on your problem
don't know on the effect on the finish be careful

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.51.---)
Date: November 14, 2015 03:44PM

I would like to know if anything worked on this ferrule problem. I think that the problem with a situation like this is that corrosion is probably in the interface, and in time it can grow into a mechanical interlocking that possibly nothing will dissolve.

The least damaging solution may be to remove and replace the ferrules.

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2015 02:05AM

Hello,

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Unfortunately I have not been able to come up with a solution for getting this ferrule un-stuck.

Neither heat, nor cold, nor a variety of penetrating oils seemed to help; The fit of the ferrule is just so air-tight.

With the blank standing upright, any oil/atf would simply pool on the surface of the joint rather than flow down in between.

Owner admits to having used this rod hard and put away wet, so corrosion seems the likely culprit judging from the shape of the other metal components.

Looks like the best course of action would be to completely replace the ferrule as Michael suggests.

-chad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2015 02:15AM by Chad Barlongo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster