I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SIC Concept Tip- Top HELP!!!
Posted by: Kenneth Probst (---.dr02.kgmn.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 30, 2015 10:39PM

For a halibut rod I order fuji HBSG Sic Guides (black) what would be a good match for a tip-top?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SIC Concept Tip- Top HELP!!!
Date: October 30, 2015 10:43PM

I found these its for a Phenix Megalodon Mpx - 569 - c - b according to Phenix the top size is a 10 the highest these go is a 9 any suggestions [www.mudhole.com]

Date: October 30, 2015 10:46PM

would this work okay?

[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 31, 2015 01:53PM

Looks like you want a heavy duty SIC tiptop with a size 8 ring and a size 10 tube. These are almost impossible to find, did the search at mudhole and found nothing different than what you found. The BPST looks a little frail for what you want to do but it is the only guide I could find, but may work fine. Also went to the new angler resources product catalog and faired no better. There are more options in a size 10 ring, so you may be forced to used one of these. Depending on the actual tip size of the blank you may be able to remove the finish from the tip and have a size 9 tube fit. Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: Kenneth Probst (---.bhcycmtk01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 31, 2015 09:55PM

what tip top would you recommend norman i am open to suggestions.

kenne

Date: October 31, 2015 10:36PM

Three that look good are your first choice the BBST (10/10 black), the HGST (10/10) and the MNST (10/10) but ithe latter two are gunsmoke color. Any one of these would work just fine. The HGST appears to be a closer match to your guides.
Norm

Date: October 31, 2015 11:09PM

With the bbst the ring size being a 10 and the running guides being an 8 won't that look goofy? And what if any functionality will be loss?

Kenne

Date: October 31, 2015 11:14PM

Perhaps instead of starting with a 12 I could start with a 16 and have 10's as runners I would prefer not to that's why I was in the hopes of gettin away with my choice in the 2nd link I posted.

Date: October 31, 2015 11:40PM

Well in that case try the BPST (8/10) you have nothing to lose, and it may work perfectly well. That is basically the only choice you have for a size 8 ring. The BPST is a general purpose spin/cast tiptop.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.70.---)
Date: November 05, 2015 08:32AM

The larger tip ring won't look goofy. If you reel the swivel or a knot through the tip top it won't lock up and damage it. I use a 10 or larger on bottom rods and surf rods and it doesn't look bad. Good luck, MH

Posted by: Kenneth Probst (---.goldenvalleycable.com)
Date: November 05, 2015 03:20PM

I ended up just starting with a 16 and eventually working down to a 10 for runners and tip top! My anal-ness got the best of me I just couldnt wrap my mind around having a different size tip top then runner! I know it probably wouldnt have looked that bad or even really been noticeable but for my peace of mind having ten's as runners seemed to be the best solution.

Kenne

ps. Thanks guys for answering my question this board is honestly more useful and helpful then any book or video I have ever read or seen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster