I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Mudhole's New Website
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2015 08:27PM

Got a rather pleasant surprise when going to the Mudhole website and saw their new layout.

Was wondering how the rest of you liked it and how to navigate around it now??

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mudhole's New Website
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 28, 2015 09:03PM

I did not like it at all. To me it seems very complex and cumbersome making it harder to browse their website. I like simple. But that just might be me.
Norm

Posted by: Mike Rodman (---.google.com)
Date: October 28, 2015 09:10PM

It took me about 15 minutes to become accustomed to the new layout and find my way around, and I think it's a good change and like it. For me it's easier to navigate and filter what I am looking for. Nice job all around Mudhole!

- Mike

Date: October 28, 2015 09:30PM

Maybe my opinion will change after getting use to it. I order a lot of stuff from mudhole and got around their old site quite easily. When I went on it today I thought to myself where is everything! It was like someone replacing your favorite old and comfortable recliner with a good looking but uncomfortable modern chair. Hopefully I will grow to like it.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 28, 2015 09:59PM

I like it, things are organized in logical groups and well labeled.

Posted by: Jerry Driggers (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2015 10:14PM

The only thing I don't like is all my past order history is gone off my account page.

Date: October 28, 2015 10:48PM

Went and checked my order history and you are right. All but 10 of my orders are gone! There is no rhyme nor reason for the 10 that were saved. In fact most of my most recent orders are not listed. Hopefully, they can fix this bug.

Posted by: Kevin Boonstra (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 28, 2015 10:59PM

Don't like it

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2015 12:36AM

I noticed the change this morning, and upon initial viewing, I didn't like it. After working with it a little bit, it does have some improvements when it comes to searching for components other than an actual rod blank.

But when it comes to searching for a rod blank, it's ..... well, let's just say I think it's junk. They've taken something that was simple and worked very well, and IMO made a mess of it. A filtered search is a nice option, but it should be just that ....... an option, and not a requirement.

They need to bring back the old format that they used for rod blanks.

And since I know people from Mud Hole will surely be reading this thread, may I suggest that you finally add the MHX Elite Pro Series of rod blanks to your on line catalog? They've been listed in the paper catalogs I receive in the mail, but I have yet been able to find them on your on line catalog.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 29, 2015 01:04AM

I see what you mean on the back order log hope they can fix the problem ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 29, 2015 04:25AM

Well that old site needed an upgrade, It was to slow at peak times. But I have to agree I think they could have make it more user friendly. I'm sure it will take weeks to get it fully tweaked, I'll hold my thoughts until then. I wish a few of these vendors would upgrade their sites. Bingham Enterprises would get my business if they had a better site. I just don't have the time to call or e-mail Karen when I need to see if they have what I'm looking for. Change s%cks when your get old, Kinda like I want hand crank windows back in my truck, And a cable on my accelerator not a wire!! Jaa

Posted by: Matthew Tuers (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 29, 2015 05:41AM

For the amount of business that (I think) Mudhole does, it might have been a better idea to have gone the Amazon route: gradually "evolve" their website bit by bit, rather than a one-time overhaul. But it's not too radical a change for Mudhole. The user interface seems to have improved while the basic organization is the same. But I only looked at it for five minutes so far...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2015 05:43AM by Matthew Tuers.

Posted by: Garrett Stivers (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 29, 2015 06:47AM

I agree with David the filter search should be a option. Not great for looking at rod blanks.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: October 29, 2015 07:31AM

I also am not too thrilled with the change. As with others, I also noticed that my history was not complete. Customer service rep also told me that they do not know if it can be fixed and re-instated also.

Ron Weber

Posted by: phil ayers (50.58.79.---)
Date: October 29, 2015 08:18AM

I am not to happy with it, but it is new and time will tell. I like the old one better I found it easier to find and brose items. Mudhole has always been good to work with I couldn't do this with out them so I will have to adapt. Phil

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 29, 2015 08:43AM

don't like it complicated Guess I will get used to it
Playing with it not bad to navigate It will work Just different

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2015 08:51AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.76.---)
Date: October 29, 2015 09:54AM

As a mobile site not liking it at all. Haven't looked at it on my laptop yet. I'm assuming it's not much different. Guess I'll get used to it. MH

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 29, 2015 10:53AM

When I posted this thread I was thinking what most all have said. I like it as far as aesthetics but found it complicated to navigate. However we are all creatures of habit and resistant to change. The more I stayed with it the more I liked it. There are a few things I don't like #1 my history. If you are an experienced builder you will find it easier because you know what to look for but a newbie is going to get confused.
I typed in CLAG in the old site it would have gone right to the fuji guide on this one it gave me 214 pages of options. However, had I waited a couple of seconds the options dropped down from the search box and there it was!!! Looking for rod blanks is another issue. Unless you define your choice you are going to get so many options it will confuse you. Is that bad.....no. It opens the door for other choices that you may not have thought of and therefore now with choice is a good thing as well.

Bottom line it is an excellent website and for me that is what I use (websites) to order rod components. As Jay Dubay mentioned Bingham's site is extremely poor and therefore I have never ordered from them. I don't have time to call people and truthful a lot of my orders are well after business hours and Mud Hole and others allows me that option.

I will continue to cruise through their new website and as all the rest have said it will become easier and more enjoyable. After all someone with Way more website experience than I put a great deal of time and effort into this new website.

Nice work MUD HOLE !!

Posted by: Gregg Zambrovitz (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2015 11:19AM

Hi Everyone

My name is Gregg and I do the online marketing for Mud hole. I also served on the team that designed the website.

I wanted to thank everyone for their input so far, and address a few items in particular.

1. Why we updated our website - this really had less to do with changing the look, and more to do more with migrating to a new more robust platform that will allow us to add more functionality as we move forward. As with any new platform, things do change, and it may at times take a few minutes to learn where things have moved to.

2. Using faceted navigation instead of tables - this one we debated extensively on. On the one hand we have rod builders that know exactly what they are looking for, and know what brands make what certain types of blanks (for example). On the other hand we have new rod builders who benefit more from application driven navigation, and are more used to faceted navigation (the sort option on the left) when they shop online.

We think our initial offering is the best balance to serve both interests - and we will continue to improve.

Now that we are on the new platform, we are already starting to fold familiar elements back into the website. For example, for those who miss the tables, you can still search by brands to get where you want to - or then choose the "List" view button – this will display the products more like a table. (The List view button is the first button to the right of Sort By options)

3. Order history - this is a random bug where many users can see their entire order history - while others are having an issue. We have communicated with our software provider, and we should have this resolved in a few days.

4. Search functionality - earlier in the week it was reported the search results were - well, terrible. LOL. We have since addressed this issue - and you should find the search results much more improved.

5. Log out happens automatically after 20 minutes of idle time - one thing to take note of is that if you are logged in and 20 minutes have gone by without activity - you will be logged out. This is a security feature our platform supports.

We hope you enjoy our new website. Please keep in mind our goal is to improve functionality and offer a great shopping experience - but anytime you launch a new website on a new platform, there are always tweaks that need to be made in the short term. Please know we are working hard to resolve any remaining issues.

Thanks for the feedback so far - we'll keep working to make it better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2015 11:22AM by Gregg Zambrovitz.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 29, 2015 12:46PM

No more Saved Shopping Cart ?? I loved that Could not find it You were the only one that had it

Bill - willierods.com

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster